Battery life is a serious matter with regards to modern smartphones. Just last week, it has been reported that apparently, there are two manufacturers of the A9 chip for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus: TSMC and Samsung. This story would have been unremarkable if not for the fact that people have noticed a difference. After some tests, it was found out that iPhone 6s with TSMC A9 chip has better battery life than the Samsung-made counterpart. How do you find out which A9 chip your iPhone 6s / 6s Plus have?
How to Check If You Have TSMC or Samsung A9 Chip on your iPhone 6S / 6S Plus?
- Get the free app called Battery Memory System Status Monitor from the App Store. (iTunes Link)
- Open the Battery Memory System Status Monitor app.
- Tap the System tab located at the top of the screen.
- You will be shown a number of key information about your device such as OS, OS version, number of CPUs but you will want to take note of the device model as shown in the screenshot below.
- The model name will tell you whether you have the TSMC or Samsung A9 chip on your iPhone. Refer to the legend below:
- N66mAP – iPhone 6s Plus with TSMC A9 Chip
- N66AP – iPhone 6s Plus with Samsung A9 Chip
- N71mAP – iPhone 6s with TSMC A9 Chip
- N71AP – iPhone 6s with Samsung A9 Chip
So essentially, the “m” in the model name refers to iPhones with the TSMC A9 chip which is said to be the “better” chip in terms of battery life.
So what’s your iPhone’s A9 chip? Do you think this is a big deal? [via iPhoneHacks]Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback