For the most part, feedbacks about iOS 9 have been generally positive. But it does have its fair share of bugs and glitches. Just yesterday, we wrote a guide on how to fix the iMessage activation error on iOS 9. This time around, several users have reported that cellular data is not working after updating to iOS 9. If you have encountered this particular problem, then you should try out these troubleshooting steps.
Ensure Cellular Data is Enabled
Sounds like common sense but it’s worth checking out whether you have indeed enabled Cellular Data or not.
- Navigate to Settings > Cellular.
- Ensure that the Cellular Data toggle is enabled, if not, switch it ON.
- Scroll down a bit to check if the app you’re trying to use is enabled to use Cellular Data.
Reset Network Settings
Resetting the network settings is an age-old troubleshooting step that can solve many network-related issues.
- Navigate your device to Settings > General > Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings and fill in your Passcode when asked.
- Exit and go back to the Home Screen.
- Press and hold the Power button to turn off your iDevice.
- Give it a few seconds and turn on your device again.
Cellular Carrier Update
In some cases, cellular companies release updates that will ensure better compatibility of iPhones with their cellular network. Navigate to Settings > General > About. If there’s an update, you should see a popup that offers it. Just confirm and install the update.
Update to Latest Firmware
Apple is currently on the process of making iOS 9 a better experience for users. As of this writing, you can update to iOS 9.0.1 as a public user. Alternatively, you can also opt to install iOS 9.1 beta on your device.
Full Factory Reset & Restore
Now, this is the good ol’ nuclear solution and should only be attempted when you have exhausted the solutions offered above.
- Connect your iDevice to the computer and open iTunes.
- Perform a backup of your device by going to the device page, and under Summary, click the Back Up Now button.
- On your iOS device, do a full factory reset by navigating to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content & Settings. All your data will be erased.
- After the factory reset, install a fresh copy of iOS 9 by downloading the IPSW files and restoring via iTunes.
Consider a Downgrade
In case the problem is still now resolved after a full factory reset and restore, consider downgrading to iOS 8. As of this writing, iOS 8.4.1 is still being signed by Apple. But keep in mind that you will only be able to restore to a backup that is compatible with iOS 8, so expect to lose some data.
Hopefully, this guide helps you fix the cellular data not working on iOS 9 issue. If you have other solutions, feel free to share in the comments!
More iOS 9 Tips:
- 10 Tips & Tricks to Improve Battery Life in iOS 9
- How to Fix iMessage Waiting for Activation Error on iOS 9