A reliable way to backup your iPhone is by using the backup feature on iTunes. However, that would require you to connect the iPhone to a computer. But what if it’s not possible to connect the iPhone to a computer, will you still be able to make a backup? Luckily yes, thanks to iCloud. So today, we will teach you how to backup and restore your iPhone without a computer.
An iCloud Backup Will Store These Information:
- iDevice settings
- App data
- SMS, MMS, and iMessages
- Purchase history (music, movies, apps, etc.)
- Photos and Videos (if iCloud Photo Library is enabled, they will be automatically stored to your iCloud account)
- Visual voicemail
- Home screen and app configuration
- HomeKit configuration
- Health data
NOTE: If you have apps, music and other media that weren’t purchased in iTunes, App Store, and iBooks Store, they will not be backed up in iCloud. In this case, you need a full iTunes backup.
You need a good Wi-Fi connection
Since we will be using iCloud backup, you need to connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network. You can opt to go to a local coffee shop and use its Wi-Fi hotspot but they tend to be spotty. The idea is to use a reliable Wi-Fi like from a home, school or work.
How to Backup Your iPhone Without a Computer:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap iCloud.
- Scroll down a bit and tap Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
Your iPhone will now be backed up through iCloud. Depending on the quantity and size of the files, this should take quite some time so sit back and relax. You may cancel the process anytime in case you need to use your iPhone for something. Take note of the date you’ve taken this backup in case you need to restore in the future.
How to Restore Your iPhone Without a Computer:
NOTE: Unlike the traditional iTunes restore, restoring an iCloud backup has no “Restore” button that we can use. Instead, we will reset the device and restore to an iCloud backup. So keep this in mind if you want to use this restore guide.
- Launch Settings then tap General.
- Scroll down and tap Reset.
- From here, you’ll see many different reset options. What you need to tap is Erase All Content and Settings then Erase iPhone.
- All data will now be wiped out from your iPhone and it will boot back up as a brand new device.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network and tap Restore from iCloud Backup in Apps & Data.
- Enter your Apple ID and Password.
- You will see a list of all your iCloud backups. Select the most recent backup you’ve made.
- Your iPhone will now restore from iCloud.
You will once again be asked for your iCloud information. After that, you’ll be back to the Home screen with all your backed up information.
- How to Delete Old iCloud Backups on iPhone or iPad
- How to Optimize iPhone Storage on iOS 8 Using iCloud Photo Library
- 5 Tips on How to Conserve Mobile Data on iPhone & iPad