Whenever you get yourself a brand-spankin’ new iPhone, you also get a pair of Apple EarPods complete with the built-in volume control / remote and microphone. These new headphones are the best ones Apple has made yet featuring good quality sounds comfortable design. If you are a fan of the EarPods, then we have some tricks that will help you get the most out of them than just pausing and playing music.
NOTE: These tricks will also work on other Apple-branded headphones like the In-Ear Headphones or the old, regular Earphones (also called EarBuds). The important requirement is that your pair should have the remote and microphone.
You are most likely using your Apple headphones for listening to music or videos in private. The remote on your EarPods gives you a good deal of control over your music or video playback, you just need to know how to actually activate them.
NOTE: The volume buttons (+ and -) will work on all Apple devices and regardless of the app you are using.
- Pausing and playing tracks. Most of you knows this functionality already, but let’s get this out of the way first. To play or pause a music track or video, simply press the center button on the remote once. This should work on most apps like Music, Spotify, and YouTube.
- Go to the next or previous track. To skip to the next track on your playlist, quickly press the middle button twice. To return to the previous track, quickly press the middle button thrice.
- Fast forward and rewind. To fast forward a song or video, press the middle button twice, and then hold down on the second press. To rewind a song or video, tap the middle button three times, then holding it down on the third press.
Chances are, you have received calls before while using your headphones. It’s a good thing that you don’t have to take your iPhone out because the remote can also help you perform call functions.
- Answering and ending calls. When there’s an incoming call, simply press the middle button to answer. Ending the call is also done by pressing the middle button.
- Declining incoming calls. If you don’t feel like answering a call, just press and hold the middle button for a few seconds. You should hear a beep afterwards that will indicate that the call was forwarded to your voice mail. If you are in mid-conversation and there’s another call incoming, you can do the same to decline it.
- Switching to a second call. If you are currently in a call and you receive another one, just do a single-press on the middle button to receive the second call.
Aside from playback and call functions, the EarPods can also be used for some other things like..
- Activating Siri hands-free. When you need to use Siri, simply pressing and holding the remote’s middle button will activate her. With the microphone, you can easily speak with Siri without having to take out your iPhone. From here, you can also instruct Siri to call someone.
- Using it as a Camera shutter button. With the Earpods plugged in and the Camera app opened, you can utilize the volume buttons to take pictures or start / stop video recordings. With this trick, you can take easily take pictures with difficult angles. However, it is unfortunate that this trick doesn’t work with popular third-party applications like Snapchat, Instagram and Vine.
- Using them with your Mac. That’s right, the Apple EarPods can’t only be used for your iDevices but for your Mac as well. Plug them into your Mac desktop or MacBook and you will be able to control the volume, pause and play tracks, and skip or go back to the previous track.
Did we miss any Apple EarPods tricks that you might know? Share it in the comments section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback