Backing up all contents on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch via iTunes or iCloud is a must unless you enjoy losing all your stuff whenever you upgrade your firmware or something unfortunate happens. If you are a jailbreak user, it goes without saying that you also need to backup your installed Cydia apps and tweaks. Re-downloading is just not an option if you have a plethora of tweaks, sources and apps installed. It’s a good thing that you can backup your Cydia apps, tweaks and sources with the aid of PKGBackup.
What is PKGBackup?
PKGBackup is a fairly old jailbreak tweak that lets you backup all your installed Cydia apps, tweaks and repositories. The backup will be saved on your hard drive or via cloud storage like DropBox, Skydrive and more. The tweak will also backup your preferences & springboard files. PKGBackup is now available for iOS 8 and it will cost you $9.99. Quite pricey but if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of manually installing everything jailbreak-related, then it’s worth it.
How to Backup Jailbreak Apps and Tweaks on iOS 8:
- Open Cydia and buy PkgBackup from the store and install.
- PkgBackup will then be added to your springboard, tap the icon to launch the application.
- Open the Settings app (or the settings option of the app itself) and choose where you wish to save the backup (we recommend local storage).
- Back to the PkgBackup app, tap the circular ‘Backup’ button.
- If you want to check which contents will be backed up (or which tweaks you want to backup), tap the green ‘Details’ button. Otherwise, tap the orange ‘Backup’ button.
- Tap the ‘Yes’ button to proceed. Provide a meaningful backup name and description to help you easily locate the file.
- The app will now proceed to backup all (or pre-selected) jailbreak-related content, so sit back and relax as it will be done in a few minutes (depending on large the contents are).
How to Backup Jailbreak Apps and Tweaks on iOS 8 from a Backup:
Assuming you have updated your firmware or re-jailbroken your device, here’s how to restore all your jailbreak tweaks and apps from a backup:
- Launch the PkgBackup app from your Springboard, tap the Restore button at the bottom of the screen.
- The name of the backup file that will be restored will be displayed above the buttons. To change this, tap the name and you can select from a list of packages. To select a specific backup file, tap the current backup’s name and then select which backup you want to restore. Tap Select and close.
- Tap the orange ‘Restore’ button then tap ‘Yes’.
- Now the app will now restore from that backup you’ve selected. After a while, tap the Reboot button from the menu that will pop up.
And that’s how you backup jailbreak apps and tweaks on iOS 8 using the excellent PkgBackup. Having problems? Let us know in the comments section.