When iOS 8 was announced, it is fair to assume that many jailbreak enthusiasts wondered, “when is the jailbreak coming?” Well to everyone’s surprise, a Chinese jailbreak team has released a tool to jailbreak iOS 8.1 called Pangu. This guide will teach you how to jailbreak iOS 8.1 on iPhone / iPad using Pangu jailbreak tool.
UPDATE X1: After jailbreaking iOS 8.1 with Pangu, you can now manually install Cydia by using this guide.
UPDATE X2: Pangu jailbreak is now updated to let users install Cydia using the app (no more need for manual installation).
Before You Proceed:
The Pangu jailbreak tool for iOS 8, as of this time, does not install Cydia by default. On top of that, the tool is only available in Chinese and for Windows only. It’s a good thing though that Saurik has now updated Cydia to work with iOS 8 / iOS 8.1. After jailbreaking, you can simply install Cydia manually (we'll write another guide for that). It’s also a fairly early jailbreak solution, so proceed at your own risk.
Pangu Jailbreak Supported Devices:
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 4S
- iPad Air
- iPad 4
- iPad 3
- iPad 2
- Retina iPad mini
- iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 8.1 using Pangu:
- If you have updated to iOS 8.1 via OTA, the jailbreak will not work. However, you can simply restore your device to iOS 8.1 using iTunes but be sure that you perform proper backup.
- IMPORTANT: Navigate to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone to turn off Find My iPhone.
- Also disable Passcode by navigating to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and enable Turn Passcode Off.
- Download Pangu for Windows here.
- Run the tool as an administrator by right-clicking on the tool and selecting “Run as Administrator”.
- The screenshot below is the main page of the Pangu tool. Uncheck the box that you see on the screenshot to prevent installation of software you don’t need.
- Click the big blue button which happens to be the Jailbreak button. The tool will now recognize your device.
- Pay attention to the screen and follow the instructions. Refrain from touching your iDevice during this phase which may take as long as 5 to 10 minutes.
- After the success of the jailbreak, you should see Pangu on your iDevice. Open the Pangu app and install OpenSSH along with other jailbreak-related tools.
NOTE: After jailbreaking, DO NOT re-enable Find My iPhone and the Passcode lock because it will send your device into a boot loop.
As mentioned, this iOS 8 jailbreak will not install Cydia. However, future updates should fix this glaring omission. We will be posting another guide that will teach you how to install Cydia manually after you jailbreak iOS 8.1 using Pangu.
So were you able to jailbreak iOS 8.1 in your iPhone or iPad? Let us know in the comments section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback