Getting into the jailbreak scene, there are a couple of steps that you need to learn to manipulate your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Definitely, one of the most important things that you should learn when jailbreaking is putting your device in DFU mode. The procedure is known to require a little bit of precise timing and practice to get right. But what if your iOS device has a broken home button? Well fret not, there is a way to enter DFU mode without home button and we'll show you how.
How to Enter DFU Mode With Broken Home Button
The main gist to enter DFU mode without home button is to use the latest version of Redsn0w. Redsn0w has a built-in DFU IPSW feature that enables you to force DFU mode even without/with broken home button. However, before performing these steps make sure that you have backed up your device on iTunes. With that said, let's get right to it.
- First, download the latest version of Redsn0w. Download links can be found here. Extract the zip file to your desktop for easy access.
- Download the IPSW firmware file that you can currently restore to without needing any hacks or pwnage steps.
- Open Redsn0w by double-clicking the executable file from the zipped file we extracted earlier. For Windows users, launch the application by right-clicking on redsn0w.exe and selecting Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- From the main screen of Redsn0w, click Extras.
- From the Extras menu, click Even More.
- From the Even More menu, click DFU IPSW.
- Redsn0w will show a message box instructing you to select an IPSW that you can currently restore to without resorting to hacks or pwnage steps. Click OK, select the IPSW file you want to restore to, then click Open.
- Redsn0w will now create a DFU IPSW for you. You will be notified once the process is completed click OK. NOTE: an IPSW file with prefix ENTER_DFU_ will be created.
- Launch the latest version of iTunes.
- Select your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from the left-side menu. Select the Summary tab.
- Now, Shift+click (Windows) or Option+click the Restore button. Select the IPSW file with the prefix ENTER_DFU_.
- Your device will now be restored and will automatically be placed in DFU mode and the screen will remain black. You can now proceed to jailbreak depending on the firmware you have restored to.
This workaround to enter DFU mode without home button is also applicable if you just can't seem to get the timing right while performing the steps. Hopefully, this guide was able to help you go to enter DFU mode even without a working home button. Feel free to comment if you have experienced any issues.