How to Install & Activate WhatsApp on iPad or iPod Touch Without Jailbreaking?

WhatsApp is an application that needs no introduction. Being available for platforms like iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Symbian and BlackBerry, it is the most popular app for messaging using smartphones. But most iOS users know that WhatsApp can only be installed on the iPhone but not for the iPad and iPod touch (unless you are jailbroken). Fortunately, there is an easy workaround over this limitation. This is How to Install & Activate WhatsApp on iPad or iPod touch Without Jailbreaking.

How to Install & Activate WhatsApp on iPad or iPod touch Without Jailbreaking

Before You Proceed, You Need:

• The latest version of iTunes
  • iFunBox for Windows or Mac (or any iDevice file explorer you prefer). Download iFunBox here.
  • An iPhone (or at least you can borrow one for a brief moment)
  • An iPad or iPod touch

NOTE: There are two parts to this tutorial which is the installation of WhatsApp and the activation process. Don't ever run the WhatsApp application on your iPad/iPod touch until you have performed the activation process.

How to Install WhatsApp on iPad & iPod Touch:

1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If you haven't yet, download WhatsApp via iTunes.
  3. Now navigate to the iTunes Media Folder, it can be found through the following path:
  4. Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/

Mac OS X 10.6: ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/

Windows: C:/Users/Username/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/

5. Find the WhatsApp IPA file and copy it on your desktop for easy retrieval later on.
  6. WhatsApp IPA file

7. Download and install iFunbox (recommended) on your PC or Mac. Launch iFunbox.
  8. Plug in your iPad or iPod touch via USB. Click iFunBox Classic, then Install App.
  9. iFunBox Install App

10. Browse for WhatsApp IPA file we have copied to your Desktop earlier.
  11. Browse WhatsApp IPA File

12. You will receive a message that WhatsApp has been successfully installed. But DON'T RUN the application just yet, we need to activate WhatsApp first.

How to Activate WhatsApp:

1. Launch WhatsApp on the iPhone. It needs to be a fresh installed copy of WhatsApp. If it has WhatsApp installed already, simply uninstall and reinstall.
  2. You will be prompted to activate a phone number, use the very number that you want to use for your iPad or iPad touch.
  3. Activate Phone Number WhatsApp

4. Launch iFunBox and connect the iPhone. Again, go to iFunBox Classic.
  5. Navigate to User Applications > WhatsApp. Select the folders Documents and Library, right-click and select Copy to PC. Copy the folders to your Desktop.
  6. Copy Documents & Library Folder WhatsApp

7. Disconnect the iPhone from the computer, and plug your iPad or iPod touch.
  8. In iFunBox, navigate once again to User Applications > WhatsApp. Now simply copy the Documents and Library folders to the same place in your iPad or iPod touch.
  9. Disconnect your iPad or iPod touch and launch WhatsApp. By following this guide, you should now have a working WhatsApp on your iPad or iPod touch.

If you have any difficulties on how to install WhatsApp on iPad or iPod touch, feel free to comment! We'll try our best to help you out.

Also Recommended:

Sai2 years, 9 months ago

Hi i have did the above procedure and it’s worked good previously. When i update the ipod with new os then onwards its giving the problem . I tried several times but no luck . The Error message what i am getting here is “Failed to verify device – This is most likely caused by you upgrading or changing your phone”. Please help me to solve the issue. Thanks in advance

Nico3 years ago

Can you send me the folders by email? If the two users use the same itunes id for whatsapp it works correctly! please, my friends or family don’t have iphones and I don’t want to jailbreak :(

Siraj3 years, 2 months ago

Will it hinder the performance of ipad?is there any chances of problem happening to device

Alan3 years, 2 months ago

Hey thanks it works for a moment,when I opened the application I can saw I all my messages,but after a moment a pop up tells me “failed to verify the device” and other thing I don’t remember,and when I touch in verify the application close,when I open again tell me “Your device is not compatible”.I hope you.pccan help me,thanks anyway.

Patrick Gumban3 years, 2 months ago

Hi, here are some points to consider:

Are you sure that you have installed a fresh copy of WhatsApp on the iPhone?
      Are you sure you did not run WhatsApp after installing it on your iPad/iPod?

If you are still getting the “device is not compatible error”, delete the application from the iPhone, reinstall, and copy the folders again. Or better yet, start over from the beginning. Hope this helps!

Alan3 years, 2 months ago

Hi,thanks for reply.Idk what you mean with “fresh copy”,I installed and registered my number on the iPhone ,like 15 minutes before install the app on the iPad. and I’m sure I didn’t opened the application after installed it on the ipad

Josh van Hulst3 years, 2 months ago

The problem with this method is that you are copying over all the data from your phone to the iPad. It’s not a clean install. I haven’t had much luck getting WhatsApp to work

Preckrasno3 years, 2 months ago

what if i don’t have iphone, only ipad?

Patrick Gumban3 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, you really need to have an iPhone for this one because you will need to activate WhatsApp from an iPhone, then copy the files from the iPhone to the iPad/iPod touch. You can borrow an iPhone from a friend or family member, anyway it will only take a moment. :\

Preckrasno3 years, 2 months ago

can you send to me these folders by email?

Preckrasno3 years, 2 months ago

please

Patrick Gumban3 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, even if someone sends you the folders, it will be for a different activated number. That’s why WhatsApp needs to be activated first on the iPhone before copying the folders into the iPad/iPad touch.

Hajaau3 years, 2 months ago

Will this negate the usage of Whatsapp on the iPhone ?

Patrick Gumban3 years, 2 months ago

Good question but I don’t think so! Just make sure that the number that you will be activating on the iPhone will be the same number that you will be using on the iPad/iPod touch. You can simply uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy of WhatsApp on the iPhone, and activate a new, different number.

Josh van Hulst3 years, 2 months ago