WhatsApp is an application that needs no introduction. Being available for platforms like iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Symbian and BlackBerry, it is the most popular app for messaging using smartphones. But most iOS users know that WhatsApp can only be installed on the iPhone but not for the iPad and iPod touch (unless you are jailbroken). Fortunately, there is an easy workaround over this limitation. This is How to Install & Activate WhatsApp on iPad or iPod touch Without Jailbreaking.
Before You Proceed, You Need:
- The latest version of iTunes
- iFunBox for Windows or Mac (or any iDevice file explorer you prefer). Download iFunBox here.
- An iPhone (or at least you can borrow one for a brief moment)
- An iPad or iPod touch
NOTE: There are two parts to this tutorial which is the installation of WhatsApp and the activation process. Don't ever run the WhatsApp application on your iPad/iPod touch until you have performed the activation process.
How to Install WhatsApp on iPad & iPod Touch:
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes.
- If you haven't yet, download WhatsApp via iTunes.
- Now navigate to the iTunes Media Folder, it can be found through the following path:
- Find the WhatsApp IPA file and copy it on your desktop for easy retrieval later on.
- Download and install iFunbox (recommended) on your PC or Mac. Launch iFunbox.
- Plug in your iPad or iPod touch via USB. Click iFunBox Classic, then Install App.
- Browse for WhatsApp IPA file we have copied to your Desktop earlier.
- You will receive a message that WhatsApp has been successfully installed. But DON'T RUN the application just yet, we need to activate WhatsApp first.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
Mac OS X 10.6: ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/
Windows: C:/Users/Username/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
How to Activate WhatsApp:
- Launch WhatsApp on the iPhone. It needs to be a fresh installed copy of WhatsApp. If it has WhatsApp installed already, simply uninstall and reinstall.
- You will be prompted to activate a phone number, use the very number that you want to use for your iPad or iPad touch.
- Launch iFunBox and connect the iPhone. Again, go to iFunBox Classic.
- Navigate to User Applications > WhatsApp. Select the folders Documents and Library, right-click and select Copy to PC. Copy the folders to your Desktop.
- Disconnect the iPhone from the computer, and plug your iPad or iPod touch.
- In iFunBox, navigate once again to User Applications > WhatsApp. Now simply copy the Documents and Library folders to the same place in your iPad or iPod touch.
- Disconnect your iPad or iPod touch and launch WhatsApp. By following this guide, you should now have a working WhatsApp on your iPad or iPod touch.
If you have any difficulties on how to install WhatsApp on iPad or iPod touch, feel free to comment! We'll try our best to help you out.