When it comes to productivity suites, there is no doubt that Microsoft's Office Suite is one of the most popular. Even iOS users are eagerly waiting for the Redmond company to release Office for iPhone and iPad. Well, Microsoft has just released Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers app. But before you get your hopes up, this isn’t the Office suite people know and love.
Basically, the new Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers app will allow users to "access, view and edit your Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint documents from virtually anywhere." The documents will look like the originals as the app supports charts, animations, SmartArt graphics and shapes. Even if you make quick edits or add comments to an Office document, the formatting will not be affected.
Here's the full list of features:
Access documents from virtually anywhere:
- Cloud – With your phone, you can access Office documents that are stored on SkyDrive, SkyDrive Pro, or SharePoint.
- Recent Documents – Office Mobile is cloud-connected. The documents you’ve recently viewed on your computer are readily available on your phone in the recent documents panel.
- Email Attachments – You can view and edit Office documents attached to email messages.
Office documents look stunning:
- Great-Looking Documents - Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents look great on your phone, thanks to support for charts, animations, SmartArt Graphics, and shapes.
- Optimized for phone - Word, Excel and PowerPoint have been optimized for the small screen of your phone.
- Resume Reading - When opening a Word document from SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro on your phone, it automatically resumes at the place where you left off reading, even if you last viewed the document on your PC or tablet.
- Presentation Views - The Slide Navigator view in PowerPoint lets you browse slides faster, while speaker notes help you practice your presentation.
Make quick edits and share:
- Edit - You can make quick edits to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- Documents Remain Intact - Formatting and content remain intact when you edit Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on your phone.
- Edit While Offline - Your device doesn’t have to be continuously connected to the network to work on an Office document that is stored online. You can view and edit recently used documents even while you’re offline. Your changes will be saved online when your device reconnects to the network or to Wi-Fi.
- Create – You can create new Word and Excel documents on your phone.
- Comments - You can review comments that have been made in Word and Excel documents on your phone and add your own comments.
- Share - When you’re done with your edits or comments, simply send the document in email or save it to SkyDrive or SharePoint.
This iPhone app can be yours for free but in order to use the app, you need to be an Office 365 subscriber which you can buy for $99 via in-app purchases. The app is only compatible with iPhone 4, 4S, and 5, iPod Touch 5th Generation and must be running iOS 6.1 or later. For features like recent documents and resume reading, Microsoft Office 2013 on a PC is required.
There is no word on the iPad app yet which is a strange decision because iPad owners are the ones who can really use this app. In addition, as of this writing the app is only available in the U.S. App Store.
Download Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers from iTunes App StoreContact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback