When it comes to free messaging and voice calling app, Viber is right up there in terms of popularity. With 200 million users across the globe, it has proven itself to be a worthy competitor to the likes of Skype. If you are a Viber user, then you are in for a treat because the App has not only received a massive update, it is now also available to both Windows and OS X platforms. More details after the jump.
As mentioned, both the iOS and Android versions of Viber has received a large-scale update bumping it to version 3.0. Among the biggest updates is the additional support for Windows and Mac OS. However, in order to use Viber on your desktop, you will first need to install the app on your smartphone. To setup Viber on your desktop, enter your phone number along with the country code and you'll be sent an activation code via the Viber app. Enter the code into the desktop application for verification. Read the complete list of changes for Viber 3.0 below:
- Support for all new Viber Desktop - on Windows and MacOS!!
- Transfer live calls between Viber on your iPhone and Viber on Desktop
- You can now send video messages to your friends
- All new voice engine improves sound quality on both low quality and high quality networks
- Online status indicator tells you when your friends are connected to Viber. Note: users can receive messages even when not connected!
- In app banner indicates that you received new messages
- Automatically download new photos for faster viewing
- You can now add a caption to the photos and videos you send
- Easily browse through photos received from specific users or groups
- Show only groups in messages screen, so you can quickly find a specific group
- Larger photos and larger photo thumbnails
- Better looking contact info screen
- New package of fun stickers
- Accessibility is now supported
- Viber is also localized to: Czech, Danish, Greek, Finnish, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish, Korean, Dutch, Thai, Vietnamese, Malay and Indonesian (In addition to previous languages: Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Spanish, Catalan, German, French, Italian, Portuguese and Portuguese (Brazil)).
- Performance improvements and multiple bug fixes.
- So many more small features that we can't even remember...
For the preview of the new Viber desktop, check out this video:
As you can see, Viber 3.0 is no small update. To download the desktop version for Windows and Mac, go to viber.com. As for the Viber for iOS and Android versions, you can download them using the links below.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback