Earlier, we posted an article regarding the release an updated version of iPhone Dev-Team's popular iPhone unlock solution, UltraSn0w 1.2.8. For the uninitiated, Utrasn0w is a software used to unlock the iPhone so one can use any other carrier just by inserting a SIM card. The gist of the update is mainly for compatibility with the latest untethered jailbreak on iOS 6.x. So it is better if you don't get your hopes up with respect to having new basebands to unlock with Ultrasn0w. With this release, it is only right that we provide a tutorial that will help unlock their iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS on iOS 6.x using Ultrasn0w 1.2.8.
Before You Proceed:
- UltraSn0w 1.2.8 only supports the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G/3GS, that's it!
- UltraSn0w 1.2.8 supports the following basebands: iPhone 4 (01.59.00) | iPhone 3G/3GS (04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00)
- To check your baseband version navigate to Settings.app > General > About > Modem Firmware.
- Hopefully, you have preserved your baseband using a custom firmware made by either Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze when you have updated to iOS 6.x.
Steps on How to Unlock iPhone 4/3GS/3G on iOS 6.x Using Ultrasn0w 1.2.8:
- Before you can download Ultrasn0w, you will need to have jailbroken your iPhone on iOS 6.1. In case you haven't yet, check out our Evasi0n untethered jailbreak tutorial.
- After jailbreaking iOS 6.1, launch Cydia from your Springboard.
- Now we need to make sure that we have the Ultrasn0w repo. To confirm this, tap Manage from below the screen, then followed by Sources.
- By default, the Ultrasn0w repo should be included already. However, for some strange reason that it's not, you can manually add it by tapping the Edit button from the top right portion of the screen, then hit the Add button. You will then be asked to input the Cydia/APT URL, just type the address below and hit the Add Source button:
- Upon adding the repo, Cydia should proceed with updating its sources.
- Now that the repo is added, tap the Search tab located at the bottom bar and type in the words "Ultrasn0w" (without the quotes). Ultrasn0w should appear in the search results. If you have added other sources, you should see some duplicates. For now, just stick with the official Ultrasn0w, which should be the first result. Tap Ultrasn0w.
- In the Ultrasn0w Details page make sure that it is version 1.2.8, then tap Install (be sure to also read the description while you're at it), and the next page tap Confirm. This will install Ultrasn0w 1.2.8.
- At the end of the installation, you will be asked to restart your springboard. Do so by tapping the Restart Springboard button and complete the installation.
NOTE: Just to avoid any confusion and errors, that is a 0 (zero) in the spelling for ultrasn0w, not an "O".
And that should be it, your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G/3GS running iOS 6.1 should now be unlocked. Let us know in the comments if you have any problems unlocking your iPhone using Ultrasn0w 1.2.8.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback