As you may all know, the Evasi0n is available for public use. With this handy jailbreak tool, you’ll now be able to jailbreak iOS 6 in your iPhone 5 and other devices. With this in-depth guide, you’ll be able to Jailbreak iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
How to Jailbreak iOS 6 / 6.1 on iPhone 5/4S/4/3GS, iPad 2/3/4/Mini & iPod Touch 4G/5G Using Evasi0n for Windows / Mac.
Evasi0n Supported Devices:
The new Evasi0n jailbreak supports all devices able to run the iOS 6 firmware. Apart from that, Evasi0n supports all the current versions of iOS 6, including iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1. As of right now, the only unsupported device is the Apple TV 3. For that, it shouldn’t take too long before Seas0nPass is updated to accommodate the Evasi0n exploit. Supported operating systems are Windows (XP minimum), Mac OS X (10.5 minimum) and Linux (x86 / x86_64). The following is the list of Evasi0n supported devices:
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPod Touch 4th Generation
- iPod Touch 5th Generation
- iPad 2
- iPad with Retina display 3rd and 4th Generation
- iPad Mini
- 2nd Generation Apple TV (Seas0nPass coming soon!)
Before You Proceed:
Here are some requirements before you proceed with jailbreaking your device using Evasi0n. One of the main rules in using Evasi0n is NOT to update to iOS 6.x using OTA (over-the-air) or the jailbreak won’t work. If you have updated using OTA, you will have to download iOS 6.1 IPSW and restore via iTunes. For more information on how to prepare for iOS 6.1 jailbreak, read this post.
Below are the official READ ME instructions that come with the Evasi0n jailbreak.
- Backup your device using iTunes (or iCloud) before using evasi0n. If something breaks, you’ll always be able to recover your data.
- Those who use backup passwords in iTunes must disable them for now. After doing so, iTunes makes a brand new backup. Please wait for that backup to complete before proceeding! Feel free to re-enable your backup password after jailbreaking.
- Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.
- Launch evasi0n, plug in your device, and click “Jailbreak”. Just sit back and observe its progress. Watch for any steps you may be asked to perform.
- Avoid all iOS and iTunes related tasks until evasi0n is complete. Why not just enjoy a brief break from the computer to stretch your legs?
- If the process gets stuck somewhere, it’s safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.
Got everything covered? It’s now time to proceed with the tutorial.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 6 / 6.1 on iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch Using Evasi0n:
- First things first, you will need to download Evasi0n for either Mac, Windows or Linux. You can download Evasi0n here.
- Once the download is finished, extract the contents of the zipped file to any location you desire (just go with your Desktop).
- After extraction, launch Evasi0n by running evasi0n.exe. As a rule of thumb for Windows, run evasi0n.exe as an Administrator (right click > Run as Administrator). For Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click the Evasi0n app > Open in order to get past the Gatekeeper.
- Upon launching Evasi0n, the program should be able to detect your device (provided that it’s connected) and tell if you are qualified for the jailbreak. NOTE: At this point, disable your passcode if you have one and make sure you close iTunes if you have it running in the background.
- Once you have made the necessary preparations, click the Jailbreak button to initiate the jailbreak. You should see a bar which indicates the progress of the procedure. Make sure you DO NOT touch your device or computer while the process is proceeding.
- At some point, Evasi0n will reboot your device. This is normal and the procedure will continue after the reboot.
- After some time, Evasi0n will instruct you to “unlock your device and tap the new Jailbreak icon.” It is important you ONLY TAP THE ICON ONCE.
- Upon tapping the icon, Evasi0n will proceed with the jailbreak process.
- After a few seconds, Evasi0n will display a screen saying “Jailbreak Complete” and state your device may restart a few times when the jailbreak is complete.
- At this point, everything should take place in your device and the processes should be visible. When you see a message saying “Done! Continuing boot…” on the screen, you are golden!
Once everything’s done, you should see the Cydia icon in your Springboard. After launching Cydia, the app should take a while as it prepares the file system for the initial launch. With that, you should complete the process to jailbreak iOS 6 / 6.1 on your iOS device and congratulations! If you have questions or problems, then feel free to comment!