Apple’s Reply to Jailbreakers

With Evasi0n, the long-awaited untethered jailbreak tool for Apple iDevices running iOS 6 or 6.1, finally became available for download. Cydia subsequently faced outages during day one, as Apple decided to answer to this phenomenon and updated its knowledge based articles warning users of the threats jailbreakers can face.

Evasi0n Common Issues Can't Detect Device
The article, last modified two days ago on February 3, described Apple's position on jailbreaking, or what they call, “unauthorized modification of iOS.” If you decided to hack your iDevice, you should know, from Apple's perspective, these modifications of iOS can cause instability, security vulnerabilities, shortened battery life, and other issues.

When Apple says your apps can crash after jailbreaking, they are right. Take the Weather app, for instance. Since I hacked my iPhone with evasi0n, the app continues to crash, and now it doesn't display the weather in the notification center. But Pod2g announced a fix is already on its way to Cydia, so be patient – this will be fixed.

Apple also warns about security vulnerabilities: "Security compromises have been introduced by these modifications that could allow hackers to steal personal information, damage the device, attack the wireless network, or introduce malware or viruses."

In terms of shortened battery life, the iPhone's biggest problem was always its battery life, so when Apple says "the hacked software has caused an accelerated battery drain that shortens the operation of an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch on a single battery charge". There is an app for that. Or maybe more apps – jailbreak tweaks.

Apple warns about disruption of services, and the ability to apply iOS updates:

Unreliable voice and data: Dropped calls, slow or unreliable data connections, and delayed or inaccurate location data.

Disruption of services: Services such as Visual Voicemail, Weather, and Stocks have been disrupted or no longer work on the device. Additionally, third-party apps that use the Apple Push Notification Service have had difficulty receiving notifications or received notifications that were intended for a different hacked device. Other push-based services such as iCloud and Exchange have experienced problems synchronizing data with their respective servers.

Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to iOS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iOS update is installed.

As you can see, Apple is against you hacking your iDevice and  cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. We are sure you are aware when you decided to jailbreak your device, this was in violation of the iOS end-user license agreement.

Have you jailbroken your iDevice? If not, follow our tutorial.

Jacob3 years, 9 months ago

What apple doesn’t understand is that jailbreaking increases its sales.People go to apple just for the jailbreak because I have never heard of a windows phone jailbreak.Jailbreak was created by Geohot and the phrase “Jailbreak” is to free your phone from apples limiting.I don’t see why you cant modify a product you have purchased.You have the right to do what ever you desire.

ThatOneGuy3 years, 9 months ago

Thank You!!!!!!!! Lol

Alysson3 years, 10 months ago

Weather APP Fix that worked for mehttp://www.appaddict.org/forum/index.php?/topic/13-how-to-fix-weather-app-crash-with-appsync/

alf3 years, 10 months ago

my battery life is actually a lot better after being freed.

Ty3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Apple, somewhat.  Most users should not jailbreak, as they can not handle the freedom, and will blame Apple, and everyone else before looking in the mirror.  For those who can handle it and who don’t look for every reason to whine when something breaks, I say long live the jailbreak and the freedom it brings.

Patrick Gumban3 years, 10 months ago

Well, the funny thing is, many of these disadvantages are also applicable to Apple’s default iOS experience. Lol..

DrOpsapoop3 years, 10 months ago

My battery is actually lasting way longer ever since I freed my Ipad!

nayan3 years, 10 months ago

Battery life does actually decrease coz i seem to use the device much more after freeing it !

Danylo3 years, 10 months ago

I have to say, although jailbreaking may have one or two downsides (crashing if installing an unsupported app, and so on), it’s positives outweigh the negatives. Being a technically minded person, I also find it very easy to fix these problems in a heartbeat, so jailbraking for me is a dream come true. The only real downside is that when you first start it takes a while to get familiar. I remember when I first jailbroke my iDevice on iOS 2.0. It took me ages to get the hang of it, but now I can help my friends and it is so awesome.

JS3 years, 10 months ago

Don’t be fooled.  I was going through a cycle of crashes caused by an AUTHORIZED and SUPPORTED app, so any app can potentially cause your iPhone to crash.

michael arnold3 years, 9 months ago

your right jailbreaking is the best thing ou can possibly do apple is just jealous that all these amazing mods can make the iphone or ipad or ipod better and they hate how there image of the ios is but when these amazing mods make it better they hate it so i will continue to do this forever and yes apple there will allways be a jailbreak for any new future ios so stop throwing the updates at us every week you only do it to patch the jailbreak whats the point its never going to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John3 years, 10 months ago

Apple is just pissed that there are people out there that can make the iphone better by jailbreaking it and adding cooler stuff..  If there were no jailbreaks why own an iphone??  I would just use it for a paper weight on my desk…  Apple should consider some of these things,  I’ve taken my iphone in to the apple store jailbroken and they gave me another phone on the spot..  Apple can’t control what you do with the phone,  if they want to control what you do with your phone then they need to pay for my phone bill….

DarKen3 years, 10 months ago

lol well said.

michael arnold3 years, 9 months ago

wow i could have never said it better than myself excellent you are 10000% right on the fact it does make it better why in the hell do you think people buy iphone majority is to jailbreak it if there was no such thing as jailbreaking nobody would really even use the phone thats the wjole reason why i have one just because of that the jailbreak made the iphone so popular not because of apple us as the people like geohot people like him made the iphone so popular tahts why people would buy one if there was no such thing as a jailbreak people would rather buy a htc or a droid or galaxy phone because there just like a jailbroken iphone full customization even a video as a wallpaper so apple you should be happy that you are the most recognized without jailbreaking you would be nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Doe3 years, 10 months ago

Apple position is the equivalent of a car maker telling you that you cannot change the muffler or the hub caps or tweak the engine of a car that you bought. Your property.

Tyler3 years, 10 months ago

I’d say my phone is across the board more secure, faster, and has better battery life after I set it up with tweaks the way I like it. The phone is so locked down out of the box, especially for anti-theft. Find My Phone is terrible. The other option, Prey Project; is very hacky to get working in the first place. Apple care requires me to have my phone in my hands to replace it, and finding it once stolen proves worthless with Find My Phone.Jailbreak for life, just don’t be stupid about it. Know your device.

jayr3 years, 10 months ago

what do you use instead of find my iphone?

ThatOneGuy3 years, 9 months ago

There is iCaughtYou … And iCaughtYou Pro ! Works beautiful !