As reported yesterday, Apple has seeded the fifth beta version of iOS 6.1. This came as a surprise however because most people are expecting that iOS 6.1 public will drop anytime soon. One can't help but think that this is Apple's way of fishing out the exploits for the iOS 6 untethered jailbreak. This is especially strange when there seems to be no significant changes to the fifth beta and the fact that it has an ID of a GM (golden master). As per usual, iOS 6.1 beta 5 can be jailbroken provided that you fulfill the requirements. Anyway, developers who fancy to jailbreak iOS 6.1 beta 5 into their devices can use the tutorial below.
Before You Proceed:
- This is a TETHERED jailbreak (unless you have an old-bootrom version of the iPhone 3GS). This is NOT the hotly-anticipated iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak. This means that you will have to run Redsn0w over your device once it shuts down or reboots.
- This jailbreak utilizes the Limera1n exploit, so this will ONLY work on older devices supported by iOS 6 such as the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the iPod touch 4th gen.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 6.1 Beta 5 on Pre-A5 Devices [Tethered]:
- First, you will need to download iOS 6.1 beta 5 from Apples official developer portal. Needless to say, you need to be a developer in order to access the firmware.
- Download the official release version of iOS 6.0 for your supported A4-based devices (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch 4th gen). Download links can be found here.
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.15b3) from this post.
- Launch Redsn0w and navigate to Extras –> Select IPSW. Here you will need to browse and select the official iOS 6.0 IPSW, not the iOS 6.1 beta 5 IPSW.
- Once that's done, go back to the main screen of Redsn0w and click the Jailbreak button.
- You will be required to put your device into DFU mode. Just follow Redsn0w's onscreen instructions and you should do fine.
- Once your device is detected in DFU, everything from here on is pretty much straightforward and Redsn0w will automatically inject the Limera1n exploit to your iDevice.
And that's pretty much it! Since you are running a tethered jailbreak, you will have to use Redsn0w to reboot your device into tethered mode. Each time your device reboots or loses power, just connect it to your computer and launch Redsn0w. Go to Extras and click the Just Boot button to bring back your device into a tethered jailbroken state. Let us know in the comments if you have questions on how to jailbreak iOS 6.1 beta 5.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback