As you all know with the advent of iOS 6, Apple has decided to do away with the popular Google Maps app. This is because Apple has made their own in-house mapping solution which resulted in Google's offering to be scrapped altogether when the latest iOS version was introduced. However, it seems that Google Maps is not about to go down without a fight and after numerous months of absence, the popular mapping software is finally back with a vengeance. That's right folks, Google Maps is now available in the iTunes App Store.
While it was touted to be one of the biggest feature of iOS 6, Apple's own in-house solution, being new and all, failed to deliver the experience that most people had come to expect. Unless you have been living under a rock, you will know that the iOS 6 Maps has gotten Apple into one of the biggest tech controversies of the year with its inaccurate data and lack of polish. Supposedly, the mapping solution of Apple has caused the major corporate restructuring of the Cupertino company. Google doesn't seem to be concerned with that lately because it has so many years of experience under its belt when it comes to mapping software. And it definitely shows with the new Google Maps.
Perhaps one of the most significant additions to the new Google Maps is the voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions. You can also access live traffic information in cities across the world within the app. The map itself is vector-based, which means it has become faster to load - always a plus. Another noteworthy improvement is the newly designed and streamlined interface which pave the way for a better user-experience.
Here’s the complete app description from the iTunes App Store:
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
- Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search
- Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews
- Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone
- Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions
- Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions
- Access live traffic information in cities across the world
Street View and imagery
- View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View
- See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide
- View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world
Simple and easy to use
- An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone
- Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world
- Use gestures to explore the map and browse results
Folks who have been clamoring for an alternative mapping solution in iOS 6 will surely be happy with the return of Google Maps. With this, it seems that Apple will have to work harder than usual in order to compete with Google's mapping software which will no doubt skyrocket in popularity. To download Google Maps, just click the iTunes Link below.
Download Google Maps app from the iTunes App Store for FREEContact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback