It is not uncommon for people to want to hide iOS apps from their Home screen. There are iOS apps that you barely use but for some reason, you don't want to uninstall them or rather there is no way to uninstall them as they are stock iOS apps. This leads to your Home screen being cluttered with unwanted apps which makes navigation and organization a tad bit difficult. There are many ways for you to remove stock iOS apps from plain view, however most of these methods require a jailbreak. If you have a newer device like an iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPod touch, then you are out of luck. Well not quite, because there are ways for you to hide iOS apps without jailbreaking.
That's right, you can actually hide stock iOS apps without having to jailbreak. There are two ways to hide iOS apps from your Home screen, both of which are web-based so being jailbroken is not a necessity. These methods will allow you to hide stock iOS apps such as Photos, Mail, Notes, Newsstand, Clock, Facetime, Reminders, Passbook, and many others.
How to Hide iOS Apps Without Jailbreaking?
- Launch Mobile Safari (not any other web browser or it won't work) and navigate to this URL: rag3hack.no-ip.org/hide.html
- The next screen will show you the list of supported apps by the web tool. Just tap any icon that you wish to hide.
- Tapping the icon will lead to the installation of the web app which be named <app of your choice> Hide. The web app will replace the icon of the one that you tapped in Step 2.
- At some point, you will see that the installation will fail. Do not worry because this is normal. Just tap Done.
- Tap and hold the icon (the <app of your choice> Hide icon) to go into wiggle mode. Tap the X on the icon to remove it from your Home screen.
NOTE: You are not actually deleting the app when you perform this. It is only being removed temporarily. Temporarily because rebooting your iPhone will cause the icon to return. So we suggest that you save the website so you can easily access it. This solution is ONLY for non-jailbroken devices.
- Launch Mobile Safari (not any other web browser or it won't work) and point it to this URL: http://www.cydiahacks.com/passhack
- You should see the Add to Passbook button, tap it.
- This will generate the Passbook for PassHack. Tap on the Add button at the top right corner to add it to Passbook.
- Now launch the Passbook app and you should see the new Passhack pass.
- Tap on the pass and then tap the small (i) info button located at the bottom right corner to flip the pass.
- On the next screen, you should see multiple links that will enable you to hide iOS apps.
- Tap on just about any link that you wish to hide, and this will launch Safari and a prompt will be displayed. The message will go “www.cydiahacks.com would like to install “Calculator Hide.” Tap the Install button.
- Much like on Solution 1, the installation will fail with the error message “Unable to Download Application.” Again, don't panic as this is normal. Tap the Done button.
- The app that you wish to hide will now be replaced with a grey icon with a loading bar. Tap and hold the grey icon and it will go into wiggle mode.
- Tap the X button in order to delete the app.
NOTE: Again, this is a solution for non-jailbroken devices only. Since this method requires the Passbook app, you will have to be in iOS 6 in order to perform the steps below. And again, rebooting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will bring back the stock iOS apps you've hidden. Here's a video that will allow you to grasp method 2 a lot better:
These methods to hide iOS apps can be downright cumbersome, but if you really want to de-clutter your Home screen, then these ways can really help you achieve just that. These should at least tide you over until the much awaited iOS 6 untethered jailbreak is finally available. If you have any questions on these solutions on how to hide iOS apps without jailbreaking, feel free to post in the comment section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback