While updating to the latest iOS firmware does have quite a number of advantages, not everyone is willing to take the plunge as there are bound to be negative consequences. This is especially true when it comes to jailbreak users and to iPhone owners who are relying in an unlock solution. The latter is especially affected because a firmware update will update their baseband thus rendering their device unusable in terms of phone functions. Unlockers have been staying clear of updating to iOS 6 because it will update their basebands. If you are someone who relies on an unlock, then you will be happy to know that the latest version of Redsn0w will enable you to update iPhone 4/3GS to iOS 6 while preserving baseband.
In this tutorial we will teach you How to Update iPhone 4/3GS To iOS 6 While Preserving Baseband Using Redsn0w, which should definitely come in handy for unlockers. Keep in mind that this tutorial is ONLY applicable with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, not the iPhone 4S.
Steps on How to Update to iOS 6 While Preserving Baseband Using Redsn0w:
- You will of course need to download the latest version of Redsn0w. Download 0.9.15b2 from our previous post.
- Extract the downloaded to your desktop or any desired directory. Look for the redsn0w.exe file and double-click it to launch Redsn0w. For Windows users, open redsn0w.exe as an administrator by right-clicking on the file and selecting Run as Administrator.
- On the main screen of Redsn0w, click the Extras button and on the next screen click Even More and then click Restore.
- Click the IPSW button and it will allow you to browse for the iOS 6 IPSW file for your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. Download links for iOS 6 IPSW files are here. Select the firmware file and click the Open button.
- Redsn0w will ask you if you would like the tool to modify the IPSW in order to prevent the baseband from being updated. You will of course want to click Yes here.
- Another window will pop out that will prompt you to connect your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS and put it in DFU Mode. Connect your device via USB and click OK to proceed.
- You will see the DFU preparation instructions and will instruct you to connect and turn OFF your device. If you are ready, then click Next.
- Redsn0w will then display onscreen instructions as to how to put your device into DFU Mode. Just follow the instructions displayed or you can follow the steps below:
- Once DFU Mode is detected, the device will now be exploited with Limera1n. Redsn0w will then prepare a restore image and then proceed to restore the device.
- When the restore process is complete, you should see a notification from Redsn0w.
Hold down Power (corner) button for 5 seconds.
Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button along with the Power button for 10 seconds.
Without releasing the home button, stop holding down the power button for up to 15 seconds.
Congratulations, you have just updated your iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 while preserving your baseband! So you now have the latest firmware and be able to use an unlock solution such as Ultrasn0w or Gevey SIM. If you have any questions regarding how to Update to iOS 6 While Preserving Baseband, then do leave a comment below.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback