While it is true that iOS 6 has a lot of attractive features that make it so compelling to update, there is the definite reality that your favorite jailbreak tweaks and apps won't work on it, one such app is the one that can unlock iOS 6, Ultrasn0w. In case you don't know, Ultrasn0w is a very useful jailbreak app by the iPhone Dev-Team which allows users to unlock their iPhone so that they can use any SIM from sort of carrier. Those who are relying on Ultrasn0w to unlock their device must be quite disappointed that the app doesn't work in iOS 6. Well great news for Ultrasn0w unlockers, a package has been released called UltraSn0w Fixer that will make Ultrasn0w work in iOS 6.
Previously, we have shared a tutorial that will allow iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS owners to update to iOS 6 without updating their baseband. If you are relying in an unlock, then it is a no-brainer that you should preserve your baseband whenever you update to a firmware version, otherwise you will lose your unlock. You have to wait until the time comes that your unlock solution is updated for the baseband which you have updated to and this usually take weeks or even months. As a stop-gap measure, Ultrasn0w fixer for iOS 6 has been released in Cydia. This should help tide you over as you wait for Ultrasn0w to get updated officially.
Ultrasn0w fixer for iOS 6 supports the following baseband: 01.59.00, 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.13.01, 05.12.01, 06.15.00. The tweak only works for a jailbroken iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. If you need some help on how to jailbreak your iPhone, feel free to refer to our iOS 6 Jailbreak guide.
Steps on How to Unlock iOS 6 Using Ultrasn0w Fixer:
- Upon successfully jailbreaking your device, launch Cydia by clicking its icon on the Springboard.
- From Cydia's main screen, tap Manage at the bottom of the screen, then in the following screen tap Sources.
- In the Sources section, tap the Edit followed by a tap to the Add button. When asked for the Cydia/APT URL, add the following: http://repo.iparelhos.com
- Upon adding the repo, you will now need to download the latest official version of Ultrasn0w. IMPORTANT: Make sure that you install official Ultrasn0w first before installing the Fixer, otherwise the whole thing won't work.
- Once Ultrasn0w has been installed properly, you can now search for Ultrasn0w Fixer for 6.0 in Cydia. Tap Install to start the installation process.
At this point, you are pretty much done unlocking your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS! As mentioned, you will need to have preserved your baseband while updating to iOS 6, or else there is no jailbreak solution that can help you. This Fixer is only designed to make Ultrasn0w work for iOS 6 along with its old supported basebands. So keep that in mind before you proceed to try out this whole process. For any questions or concerns on how to unlock iOS 6, please feel free to leave a comment below.