As we have reported yesterday, iPhone Dev-Team just released the latest version of Redsn0w which contains a massive update that can help users jailbreak iOS 6. The weeks following the release of iOS 6 have been quite disappointing when concerning the jailbreak front. Even though it was shown that the iPhone 5 was jailbroken on its first day of release, Pod2g described it as a "failbreak" because it relied on files and components that only an iOS developer can access. Not much of a use for an ordinary user. However, thanks to the iPhone Dev-Team as things are starting to become a lot better with the release of the latest version of Redsn0w. This guide will teach you How to Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone & iPod Touch Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for Mac & Windows.
- iPhone 4 CDMA
- iPhone 4 GSM
- iPhone 3GS (Untethered Jailbreak if old-bootrom)
- iPod Touch 4G
Things You Need to Know to Jailbreak iOS 6:
- This guide will teach you how to perform a TETHERED jailbreak. For the uninitiated, this means that you will need to run your device over Redsn0w in the instance that it shuts down or reboots.
- Unlike previous versions of the iOS 6 jailbreak where Cydia needs to be installed manually, Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 will jailbreak your device and will have Cydia installed by default.
- As listed above in the supported devices, this guide is only applicable for A4-based devices and below. At this point, A5 (iPhone 4S, iPad 2), A5X (iPad 3) and A6 (iPhone 5) devices are not supported.
- In this version of Redsn0w, Hacktivation + baseband preservation support are also added for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
- To perform this jailbreak tutorial, you will of course need to be on the latest version of the iOS firmware.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone & iPod Touch Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b1:
UPDATE X1: iPhone Dev-Team just released RedSn0w 0.9.15b2. It is recommended to use this version of the tool for this tutorial.
- You will first need to have the latest version of Redsn0w. Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for Mac & Windows from our previous post.
- After downloading Redsn0w, extract the contents on your desktop (or any desired directory). With the file extracted, launch Redsn0w by double-clicking the redsn0w.exe file. On Windows, run the file as Administrator by right clicking on the file and selecting Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- Once on the main screen of Redsn0w, you will simply need to click the Jailbreak button. At this point, make sure that you device is connected to your PC or Mac.
- At the next screen, you should see instructions that will prepare your device for entering DFU Mode. Read the instructions for good measure and then Turn OFF your iPhone or iPod touch. Click Next once you are ready.
- Here you will be asked to put your device in DFU Mode, you can simply choose to follow the instructions displayed by Redsn0w or you can follow the steps below:
- Hold down Power (corner) button for 5 seconds.
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button along with the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Without releasing the home button, stop holding down the power button for up to 15 seconds.
How to Perform a Tethered Boot:
As repeatedly mentioned in this post, this is a tethered jailbreak. So every time your device loses power and shuts down, you will need to use Redsn0w to boot it back into its jailbroken state. Don't worry because the process is pretty straightforward and basically will only require you to put your device into DFU Mode.
- From the main menu of Redsn0w, click Extras.
- You should see several options. What you need is the Just Boot option, click on it.
- Much like the process to jailbreak, you will be asked to place your into DFU Mode. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and you will be fine.
That was quite easy right? At this point, your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 4G is now jailbroken on the iOS 6 firmware. A congratulations is in order. Just launch Cydia from your Springboard and start looking for your favorite jailbreak apps and tweaks. Just make sure that they are 100% compatible with iOS 6 though. For any questions and concerns regarding the processes on how to Jailbreak iOS 6 using this latest version of Redsn0w, feel free to leave a comment below.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback