The iOS platform is undoubtedly one of the most secure mobile operating systems out there, with minimal reports of security breaches and instances of virus and malware attacks. Such level of security can only be attributed to iOS's closed system but such security does come with a price. Because of iOS's closed nature, the operating system is riddled with restrictions. Some of these restrictions make sense while there are those that make you want to scratch your head. And this is why we jailbreak our iPhone, iPad or iPod touch; to lift the restrictions placed by Apple. One such restriction is when downloading files off Safari as it blocks various downloads and file types. However, Safari Download Manager will take care of that.
Safari Download Manager (SDM) is a jailbreak app from Cydia which is developed by Dustin Howett. It is basically an add-on to iOS's Safari, which of course is the default web browser. It works for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The main purpose of this app is to make it easy to download pretty much anything on your iOS device by improving the core downloading capacity of Safari. Once installed, Safari Download Manager integrates seamlessly into Safari that you won't ever feel like you've installed an add-on. It will simply feel like you are using an enhanced version of Safari. SDM comes with a wide range of supported file types and it can be configured to add more. With SDM installed, you will be able to easily download any file that you want off the web and even enjoy perks like multiple simultaneous downloads.
How to Install Safari Download Manager on iPhone 4S Running iOS 5.1.1?
- First off, you will need a jailbroken iOS device. For assistance on how to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 untethered, refer to the following tutorials: Absinthe | Redsn0w | Sn0wbreeze | Cinject
- After jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, launch Cydia by tapping its icon located on your Springboard.
- While on Cydia's Home Screen, tap the Search tab which is located at the bottom. NOTE: SDM is available via the BigBoss repo for $5.00. BigBoss is available by default after jailbreaking, so adding a new Cydia source is not needed. If BigBoss repo is missing or deleted, use this guide on how to add it back. Alternatively, you can add the Insanelyi repo (tutorial here) so you can get SDM for free for trial purposes.
- In the search field, input "Safari Download Manager" (without the quotes). If there is no problem with your Bigboss (or Insanelyi) repo, SDM should be listed in the results.
- Select SDM from the search results by tapping it and it'll take direct you to the Details page of the app. Tap the Install button that's located at the top-right of the screen.
- On the next screen, begin the installation process by tapping Confirm.
- Cydia will now start downloading SDM and will eventually be installed. When prompted to respring, do so to complete the installation.
How to Use Safari Download Manager on iPhone 4S?
Using Safari Download Manager on iOS 5.1.1 is quite easy and you can use it without configuring anything after installation. Upon installation of the app, launch Safari and look for just about anything that you would like to download such as movie clips, sound files, wallpapers, ZIP archives, just any file you want. On its most recent update, SDM now supports iOS 5 and with it, it comes with various improvements such as a new interface when downloading. Upon clicking a download link, you will be presented with a new interface where you can set the destination of the download. To start the download, simply click the Download button or Cancel to abort the process.
You can view the progress of the download by clicking the red badge at the bottom of the screen, this will take you to the Downloads page. In this page, you can also open completed files via many different applications such as iFile, iBooks, DropBox, etc., depending on the file type.
There is also the Settings page for SDM where you can customize which file types would be supported by the app. Just tap the Add File Type button to start adding new file types that are not included natively.
There is no doubt that SDM on iOS 5.1.1 is the best download manager for Safari, bar-none. If you have any question regarding Safari Download Manager on iPhone 4S, ask away in the comments section.