One of the worst things that could happen to an iOS device user is to have an iPhone 4S with broken home button. Having a faulty home button is not exactly a new incident when it comes to iOS device owners. Having such a hardware issue is no small matter and it can be rather be frustrating especially for a jailbreak user. As you may all know, the Home button is used primarily for many jailbreak procedures. One such operation is placing your device into DFU Mode. Placing your iPhone 4S into DFU Mode is a process that requires careful timing; something that you won't be able to achieve if you have a broken Home button. Fortunately, there is a workaround that will allow you to Restore iPhone 4S with Broken Home Button.
How to Restore iPhone 4S with Broken Home Button?
Not many people know that there is a way for you to restore your iPhone 4S even with a broken Home button. What you need in this case is to download the latest version of iPhone Dev-Team's Redsn0w tool. There is a new function in Redsn0w called DFU IPSW that will allow you to put your device into DFU mode provided that it is functional enough to accommodate an IPSW restore. What's great is that you don't even need to be jailbroken in order to use this method. Sure, this is the hard and long way to do it, but in this situation, do you really have a choice? Without further ado, here's the tutorial on how to restore an iPhone 4S with broken Home button.
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w (download links here).
- You will also need to download the IPSW file of the firmware version that you intend to restore to. Download links for iOS 5.1.1 IPSW files are located here. If you are downgrading, make sure that you have fulfilled all the pre-requisites for a firmware downgrade.
- Launch the latest version of Redsn0w but make sure that you run the executable as an administrator. You can do this by right-clicking on the executable and choosing Run as Administrator in the context menu.
- While on the main menu of Redsn0w, click Extras.
- In the Extras menu, select Even More.
- On the next screen, choose the option DFU IPSW.
- Upon clicking DFU IPSW, you will be presented with a message with regards to this feature. Click OK.
- Now you will be asked to browse for the IPSW file which will used by Redsn0w to create an DFU IPSW file. In this case, we will select the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW.
- Upon choosing the IPSW file, Redsn0w will now create the DFU Mode IPSW. It should take some time so just sit back and relax.
- If the DFU Mode IPSW creation process is done, you will be notified using the dialog box below.
- Connect your device to the computer and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone from the list of devices listed on the left. NOTE: This would be the best time to perform a full backup of your device especially if you haven't made a backup recently.
- Next, ensure that you are on the Summary of iTunes then SHIFT + Click on the Restore button.
- Now iTunes will ask you to browse for the IPSW file. Choose the DFU IPSW which was created by Redsn0w earlier. The file should have an ENTER_DFU affix at the beginning, so it would be hard to miss.
- After your device has been restored, it will automatically be placed into DFU Mode which means the screen will remain black. At this point, you can now jailbreak your device depending on the firmware version you've restored to.
And that's pretty much it, folks! As mentioned earlier, this is the harder and longer method to place your device into DFU Mode. But it is highly ideal for folks that have busted Home buttons on their iPhone 4S. Let us know in the comments if you have question on how to restore an iPhone 4S with broken Home button.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback