There is very little doubt that one of the most popular jailbreaking tools these days is the iPhone Dev Team's Redsn0w. Redsn0w is used by many jailbreakers due to the fact that it is a very user-friendly tool with easy to understand interface. iPhone Dev-Team is also working hard to make sure that the tool is almost always up to date, so expect Redsn0w to have the latest jailbreak solution way ahead of others. The team even releases versions that could jailbreak iOS betas. It also works for both Windows and Mac so more folks can use the tool to jailbreak their iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. For today's tutorial, we will teach you how to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2 on iPhone 3GS/3G/2G Using RedSn0w 0.9.
** DISCLAIMER **
This tutorial is for testing & educational purposes only. Jaxov will not responsible for any loss of important data or if your device malfunctions as a cause of following this guide to jailbreak. Proceed at your own risk.
NOTE: Later versions of iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 2G and iPod touch 3G are all limited to having "tethered" jailbreaks. It is a hardware limitation so there is simply no way around it. This means that you will need to connect your iDevice to a computer so it can be booted into its jailbroken state. These devices are also unable to have custom boot logos.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2 on iPhone 3GS/3G/2G Using RedSn0w 0.9:
- For this tutorial to be applicable, you will of course need to have a device that runs on iPhone OS firmware 3.1.2. If not, restore to that iPhone OS version using iTunes. Restoring is recommended because simply updating might cause some problems down the line. Download iPhone OS 3.1.2 firmware and save it on your desktop.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9 for your operating system: Mac | Windows. Extract the zipped file to your desktop for easy access.
- Launch Redsn0w by clicking Redsn0w.exe.
- Click the Browse button and select the iPhone OS 3.1.2 firmware that you have downloaded in step 1 and hit Open.
- Redsn0w will now verify if you have chosen the right firmware. It will then patch the file.
- After the firmware has been successfully identified, click the Next button to proceed.
- In this window, make sure that you have selected Install Cydia. iPhone 2G users will be also given the option to unlock. If you just want to jailbreak, just select Install Cydia. iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPod touch users should just check the “Install Cydia” option to jailbreak. You also have the option to install custom boot logos, but we will stick with jailbreaking your iDevice for now. Click Already pwned if your device is already jailbroken before. After selecting your desired options, Click Next.
- Redsn0w will ask you to turn OFF your iOS device and plug your iPhone into the computer. Once you're ready, click Next.
- Redsn0w will now instruct you to place your device into DFU Mode. Just follow the onscreen instructions or you can use the steps below:
NOTE: If you are jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS, Redsn0w will ask you if this is a newer model iPhone. Newer models have fixed bootroom which is only capable of having tethered jailbreaks. In order to find your serial number, the week number is generally the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number. For instance, serial numbers beginning with 88926 would be week 26 of 2009. 3GS units made week 45 or later will usually have a fixed bootroom. Before week 40 they usually have the older (preferable) bootroom. Between weeks 40 and 45, the results may vary.
If you think that your device has a fixed bootrom, click Yes. Otherwise click No to proceed. Please select the correct option because the wrong choice will cause you to do a full restore to fix the error.
- Hold down both Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 10 more seconds.
- Your iOS device should be in DFU mode now.
And there you have it! The guide itself may look overwhelming with its many steps but it is only because we are trying to be as thorough as possible. Performing the steps itself should not be that hard and the only tricky part is placing your device in DFU Mode. Just remember that timing is key while performing the steps. Hope you have found this guide useful. For questions on how to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2, let us know in the comments and we will try to help.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback