If you just purchased an iPhone 3GS running an earlier version of iOS, and you obviously want to set it free, look no further: you have come to the right place. We will show you how to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0 on the iPhone 3GS in just a few easy steps.
How to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0 on the iPhone 3GS using Redsn0w 0.8
In order to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0, all you need to is a bit of time to download Redsnow 0.8. While the steps described below are for the iPhone 3GS untethered jailbreak, they are the same for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G and iPod Touch 2G. Also, the steps are the same if you're on a Mac (or even Linux), although we have done jailbreak iPhone 3.0 using Redsnow 0.8 for Windows.
- Update your iTunes to the latest version and restart your computer.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and name it "jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0" or "jailbreak iPhone 3GS", or just enter your preferred name. You will use this folder to download iPhone 3.0 firmware and Redsnow 0.8, and then unzip the Redsnow folder.
- Double-click on Redsnow and look for the iPhone 3.0 firmware you have downloaded in the folder you created above. Redsnow will process the firmware, and eventually you'll see a "successfully identified" message.
- After choosing "Next", Redsnow will jump into action and ask you about what you would like to install: Cydia or Icy. We strongly suggest checking "install Cydia" and then clicking “Next”.
- Now you want to connect the iPhone 3G in recovery mode. To achieve that, you need to unplug it from your PC, turn it off, and wait for a couple seconds. Next, hold the Home button while you plug your iPhone into the charging (USB) cable, and keep doing so until you see the "Connect to iTunes" message.
- Now it is time for Redsnow to do its magic: in a few minutes, you will have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS.
- You'll see your iPhone reboot and install some stuff. Wait until Redsnow has finished, even though, at some point, the “Done!” message will appear.
- It will take some minutes before the iPhone resprings again. Now, it is time to tap "Finish".
- Now, you can browse your iPhone's springboard where you'll see the Cydia icon on the second page – or maybe third.
Congratulations! You have successfully jailbroken the iPhone 3GS using Redsnow 0.8.
As always, if you have any questions regarding jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0 on the iPhone 3GS, please let us know in the comments section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback