Not many people own an Apple TV, at least it is safe to assume that when compared to the more popular Apple gadgets such as the iPhone and iPad. Even the late Steve Jobs made a remark that the black media box is more of a "hobby" product. But still, the Apple TV is still considered a success and Apple has more plans with regards to this gadget. Apple TV is yet another device that can be jailbroken using the right tool. And the right tool in this case is FireCore's Seas0nPass. The latest version of Seas0nPass can now be used to perform an untethered jailbreak for Apple TV 2 that's running the latest 5.0.1 (iOS 5.1.1) iOS firmware. Here's a guide on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 (iOS 5.1.1) on Apple TV 2 Untethered Using Seas0nPass.
With the previous version of Seas0nPass, it was only able to support a tethered jailbreak, which means that you will have to connect your unit each time that it is powered down. Fortunately, we have dedicated members of the jailbreak community such as Pod2g that works hard in order to bring us an untethered jailbreak for the Apple TV firmware. Unfortunately, with this version of Seas0nPass, you still won't be able to jailbreak the 3rd-Gen Apple TV. So those who owns an Apple TV 3 will not be able to use this particular guide. Anyway, the steps are pretty similar to the Seas0nPass tutorial we've covered previously. For those that have an Apple TV 2 or lower, you can just follow the steps below to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 (iOS 5.1.1) on your unit.
Before You Proceed:
- Make sure that you have installed the latest version of iTunes.
- Download the latest version of Seas0nPass for your operating system [Mac | Windows].
- Ensure that you have your micro USB cable ready as it is required to complete the jailbreak.
- Disconnect any other iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) from your computer.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on Apple TV 2 Untethered Using Seas0nPass:
- Unzip the Seas0nPass zipped file that you have downloaded. Double-click on Seas0nPass.exe to launch the program.
- On the main screen, select the Create IPSW option to get the jailbreak started.
- Seas0nPass will now download the latest Apple TV firmware which will be used to cook a custom firmware which will be used to restore your unit later.
- You will eventually be prompted to connect your Apple TV via micro USB cable (don't connect the power cable).
- At this step, you will have to place your unit in DFU Mode. When you see the light on the front of the Apple TV starts flashing rapidly, point the silver remote of the unit at the Apple TV and hold both the MENU and PLAY / PAUSE buttons together for about 7 seven seconds.
- When the device is detected to be in DFU Mode, iTunes will automatically be launched. And then the restore process will begin.
- iTunes will notify you once the restore is completed. In order to confirm that the jailbreak was successful, you should see a red FireCore logo appear temporarily at the lower right of the screen.
And with that, you're done. That is how you Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on Apple TV 2, hope it has helped you.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback