When it comes to the process of successfully jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, it all comes down to choosing the right jailbreak utility. So it is quite important that you choose the best tool that you are most comfortable with, and of course, it must support your operating system and firmware version. With that said, PwnageTool from iPhone Dev-Team is one of the most popular jailbreak tools around but it is only exclusive for the Mac OS. For those running iOS 5.0.1 and haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet for some reason, you can use PwnageTool 5.0.1 to apply an untethered jailbreak to your device. Here's a guide on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered on All iDevices Using PwnageTool 5.0.1.
In case you haven't heard of PwnageTool before, it's a tool that enables you to create a custom pre-jailbroken IPSW file which will be used to restore your device and apply the jailbreak. It is pretty similar to iH8sn0w's Sn0wbreeze in function and is ideal for jailbreakers who are looking to preserve their iPhone's baseband so they can still be unlocked. On top of that, jailbreaking with PwnageTool allows one to customize various aspects of their jailbreak.
NOTE: When using PwnageTool 5.0.1, your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS's baseband will not be updated. This means that after restoring and jailbreaking, you will still be able to use your existing unlock solution.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered on All iDevices Using PwnageTool 5.0.1:
- First, you will need to download PwnageTool 5.0.1. NOTE: PwnageTool is only usable in Mac, so Windows users are out of luck and is recommended to opt for Redsn0w instead. You might want to use our iOS 5.0.1 Redsn0w guide for that.
- If you haven't already, you will also need to download the iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file applicable to your device. Download iOS 5.0.1 IPSW files here.
- Launch PwnageTool by double-clicking it, and on the main screen click Expert Mode located on the top left corner of the screen. Once Expert Mode is selected, you will need to choose the device that you will jailbreak. A big check mark will appear once a device is selected. Click the blue arrow to continue.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to manually browse for the iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file. Once the firmware file is selected, click the blue arrow to proceed.
- You should see a screen with several options. Here's a quick rundown of the options that you will see on PwnageTool:
- Save the custom firmware file to any location you want. Saving it on your desktop is fine.
- PwnageTool will then start building your iOS 5.0.1 custom IPSW, so just sit back and relax as it can take several minutes. At some point, you will be asked for your password. When that happens, just supply your password and click OK.
- After a while, you will be asked to place your iOS device in DFU Mode, just follow the onscreen instructions or you can just follow the steps below:
General. This is where you can customize various aspects of your jailbreak such as the root partition size (how much space you will allocate for Cydia apps and tweaks), activation options for those that are utilizing unofficial carrier on their iPhone. FOR UNLOCKERS: Make sure that the Activate the Phone option is clicked if you are using an unofficial carrier. On the other hand, if you have a legitimate carrier, deselect the Activate option.
Cydia Packages. In this section, you can select packages from Cydia to be installed after you have restored using the custom firmware file.
Custom Packages. For the most basic needs, make sure that Cydia is selected to be installed.
After you are done with customizing your jailbreak, just go back to the previous screen and hit the Build button.
- Turn Off Your iOS device.
- Hold down both Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 10 more seconds.
- Your iOS device should be in DFU mode now.
After the restore process is done, your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch should now be jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 Untethered. And with that, you are now officially done. If you have questions about this guide on how to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered using PwnageTool, let us know in the comments section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback