When it comes to the subject matter of jailbreaking iOS devices, most of the time, people are referring to the main portable iOS gadgets: the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. However, people seem to keep on forgetting that the Apple TV - Apple's very own little black box used for media streaming, can be subjected to the wonderful world of jailbreaking as well. While it is certainly not the most popular product of Apple (even Steve Jobs referred to the device as more of a hobby), there are still enthusiasts out there that rocks an Apple TV in their homes. This guide is to teach you How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0 on Apple TV 2 Using Seas0nPass [Tethered].
For the uninitiated, the tool that is used to jailbreak the Apple TV is FireCore's Seas0nPass. For the meantime, Seas0nPass can only jailbreak Apple TVs up to the 2nd generation, there is no update yet that will support the 3rd Gen Apple TV. Seas0nPass is a tool that can used both in Mac and Windows. It is widely considered to be one of the best jailbreak tools around and it can be attributed to the fact that it is very easy to use and almost every steps are automated.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0 on Apple TV 2 Using Seas0nPass [Tethered]:
NOTE: Seas0nPass only provides a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0 (technically iOS 5.1) which means that every time the device powers down or reboots, it will be required to connect to a computer and be booted back into its jailbroken state. However, unlike the iPhone or iPad, the Apple TV is always supplied with power so performing a tethered boot is a rare occasion. Although we will still teach you how to tether boot your Apple TV at the end of this post.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed in your PC.
- Download the latest version of Seas0nPass jailbreak tool for your operating system [Mac | Windows]. Extract the downloaded zip file.
- Grab your Apple TV and USB micro cable. The other end of the USB micro goes into your computer. Make sure that no other iOS device is plugged in via USB.
- Double-click Seas0nPass.exe to launch the tool. On the main screen, click Create IPSW to begin.
- Seas0nPass will now download the Apple firmware for the device (iOS 5.0), and thereafter, it will create a custom firmware which will be used for the restore process.
- Seas0nPass will display an onscreen message that you will prompt you to connect the Apple to TV to the computer via micro USB cable. Do so if you haven't connected it already but NOT the power cable.
- The utility will be asking you to place your Apple TV in DFU Mode. Using the silver remote control that comes with the device, press the MENU and PLAY / PAUSE button together for about 7 seconds until the LED on the Apple TV starts to flash rapidly.
- Once you have successfully placed your Apple TV into DFU Mode, it should be recognized by Seas0nPass and iTunes will be launched and thus the restore process will commence using the custom firmware created earlier. Don't worry because everything is automatically done by the tool.
- When the restore process is complete, you will get a confirmation from iTunes that your Apple TV has been restored to factory settings.
And that's it for the jailbreaking process. Use the guide below to tether boot your device using Seas0nPass.
How to Tether Boot Your Apple TV Using Seas0nPass?
- Launch Seas0nPass and select Boot Tethered.
- At this point, you will be asked by the tool to connect your Apple TV unit to the computer via micro USB cable. Once the rapid flashing light appears on the front of the device, plug in the power cable and then proceed to hold the MENU + PLAY / PAUSE buttons together for about 7 seconds. Take note that in this step, you will need to connect the power cable.
- Now the utility will take everything from here. After the process is completed, you can freely remove the USB and power cable and use the device at your own leisure.
And that's pretty much it! This method to jailbreak iOS 5.0 with Seas0nPass can be quite tricky because unlike the iPhone or iPad, the Apple TV doesn't have visual indications that could help you in the process of jailbreaking. You will have to pay attention to that small light. If ever you fail to jailbreak iOS 5.0 on Apple TV 2, you can always redo the process all over again.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback