When touching upon the subject of jailbreaking iOS devices, it can't be helped that people will normally associate it with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. After all, those are the most popular gadgets that are sold by the Cupertino company. Although it may not be as popular as the devices mentioned before, the Apple TV has managed to acquire the interest of many consumers. Apple's portable streaming black box has a version of iOS which is actually quite a bit different from that of other iOS devices. However since it is an iOS as well, it can be subjected to a jailbreak exploit also. In this post, we will teach you How to Jailbreak Apple TV 2 iOS 4.4.4 Untethered Using Seas0nPass 10.6.
When jailbreaking an Apple TV, it is still following the same procedure as any iOS device in the sense that it introduces a bug into a distributable tool which causes the delivery of the jailbreak payload right into the Apple TV. After the jailbreak process, your Apple will now be able to support additional features via several plugins such as local weather services, BBC iPlayer, and many others. And in jailbreaking the Apple TV, the tool of the trade is no other than Firecore's Seas0nPass. It is a very easy to use tool and the user interface is quite slick as well. The tutorial below is for Apple TV 2 users that are running the firmware 4.4.4.
Before Your Proceed to Jailbreak Apple TV 2:
- You will of course need a 2nd generation Apple TV.
- A micro USB cable.
- You will need a working computer. For Mac, it needs to have Mac OS X 10.6 or above. For Windows, it should have Windows XP or later.
- You have to install the latest version of iTunes.
Steps on How to Jailbreak Apple TV 2 iOS 4.4.4 Untethered Using Seas0nPass 10.6:
- You will need to download the latest version of the Seas0nPass jailbreak tool that is applicable to your operating system. [Mac | Windows]
- Once you have downloaded the zipped file, extract the contents and launch Seas0nPass.
- From the main screen, Click the Create IPSW button. Seas0nPass is a jailbreak solution based on the restore process which is similar to PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze. So a custom IPSW needs to be created.
- Seas0nPass will now automatically download the Apple TV firmware (4.4.4) which will then be used to create the custom IPSW file. Seas0nPass is a great tool because it is so easy to utilize and the tool does this all for you, so just sit back and relax as this step can take a while.
- After the iOS 4.4.4 custom IPSW has been created, you will be prompted to connect your Apple TV to the computer through the micro USB cable. Just the micro USB cable, DO NOT connect the power cable.
- Now you will have to place your device in DFU Mode, instructions on how to do it are shown in the user interface. You will need to use the Apple TV's remote and hold the MENU and PLAY / PAUSE together for about 7 seconds.
- Once the Apple TV is successfully placed in DFU Mode, Seas0nPass will update some files and it will prompt you if you would like the program to automatically restore to the custom firmware. Click Yes.
- iTunes will be launched and the restore process will commence. This will be similar to restoring to a stock firmware which means it could take a while. After this step, your Apple TV should be finally free from Apple's walled garden.
And that is pretty much it on how to apply the iOS 4.4.4 untethered jailbreak on your Apple TV 2! As mentioned, the process is very similar to what is being implemented when using tools such as PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze, which both resort to a custom firmware in order to apply the jailbreak. But unlike jailbreaking an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, Cydia is nowhere you be found because the Apple TV won't be using it. However, you will be free to install various plugins like Exposed VNC Server, Couch Surfer, NitoTV, Remote HD, XMBC, RSS Feeds, and many others. For questions on how to jailbreak Apple TV 2, don't hesitate to post in the comments.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback