It is common knowledge that when you jailbreak your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, it enables you to access features and functionalities that are otherwise impossible with a non-jailbroken device. These features and functionalities have the potential to completely change the way you use your iOS device. One good example would be the ever-popular jailbreak tweak called Activator, from jailbreak extraordinaire Ryan Petrich. Why is this tweak so popular and is widely considered by the jailbreak community to be an essential install for jailbroken devices? In this post, we will try to highlight the benefits of using Activator, how to install and use it properly.
Activator is the premier iOS shortcutting application for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Basically what this tweak does is that it adds centralized gestures, button and shortcut management for iOS. For example, using a certain gesture, you can easily lock or unlock your iOS device. It can be used to launch any of the installed applications by using any gestures, status bar taps, and hardware button presses that Activator supports. System shortcuts are supported as well such as reset, respring, shutdown, and many others. All of these gestures and button shortcuts are fully customizable in accordance to your own usage. You can even set them in a way that they will only occur in certain instances like in the Springboard or while inside an application. Below is a tutorial on how to Install Activator on iPhone 4S.
How to Install Activator on iPhone 4S Running iOS 5.1.1?
- Since this is a jailbreak tweak, you will of course need to jailbreak your iOS device. In case you need some help in jailbreaking, you can check out our most recent untethered jailbreak guides : Absinthe | Redsn0w | Sn0wbreeze | Cinject
- Upon successfully jailbreaking your iDevice, open Cydia by tapping the icon which should be located on your Springboard.
- While on Cydia's Home Screen, tap the Search tab which is found at the bottom of the screen. NOTE: Activator is hosted through the BigBoss repo. In case you don't know, this particular repo is available by default after jailbreaking. So it won't be necessary to add a new Cydia source in this case. If your BigBoss repo is missing, use this guide on how to add it back.
- Input "Activator" (without the quotes) right into the search field. If there is no problem with your Bigboss repo, you should be able to see Activator listed in the search results.
- Select Activator from the search results and it will take you to the Details screen. You should see an Install button located at the top right of the screen. Tap it.
- On the next screen, tap Confirm to start the installation process.
- Now the screen will turn black and you will see that Cydia will now install Activator. Just wait for a few seconds and when it's done, tap Restart Springboard to complete the installation.
How to Use Activator on iPhone 4S?
Upon successfully installing Activator on iOS 5.1.1, navigate to your device's Settings.app. Scroll down and you should see the configuration for Activator. The configuration settings for Activator should look like the screenshot below:
In the settings screen, here you can customize just how Activator behaves and what corresponding actions will be activated once you perform a certain gesture or hardware button press. The listed instances are Anywhere, At Home Screen, In Application, and At Lock Screen. Anywhere is pretty self-explanatory. At Home Screen is when your Springboard icons can be seen. In Application is when you are inside an application. At Lock Screen is when your device is locked and the lock screen is visible.
The possibilities are endless with Activator and it is easy to get all carried away once you realize just how powerful this tweak is. Having way too many gestures can become rather confusing and it may cause you to accidentally activate things in more than one occasion. So it is best if you just keep your shortcuts to a minimum and save it for the most efficient and effective functions like launching your most frequently used apps or controlling your iPod app using gestures and so on. But that is just me, you can go all tricked out on your Activator settings as long as you can manage it.
And that's it on how to use and install Activator on iOS 5.1.1. If you have any questions on how to use or install Activator on iPhone 4S, feel free to let us know in the comments section.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback