How to Select & Restore Custom IPSW Using iTunes on Windows & Mac?

Restoring your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch to a certain firmware version is something that you perform on a regular basis. Whether it is to downgrade to a lower  iOS version or to restore custom IPSW, restoring on iTunes is one of the most basic tasks that you should learn. By default, if you click Restore in iTunes, the program will automatically restore your device to the latest firmware. Of course you don't want that if you want to restore to a specific firmware or a custom firmware one. Here's a brief tutorial on How to Select & Restore Custom IPSW Using iTunes on Windows & Mac.

Restore Custom IPSW

How to Select & Restore Custom IPSW Using iTunes on Windows & Mac?

For seasoned jailbreakers or Apple users in general, browsing for a particular IPSW is a task that basically comes as a second nature. Custom IPSWs are used to effectively preserve baseband along with other features that you simply can't acquire from a default IPSW file. Being able to select IPSW files is also important when using jailbreak tools. But there are still users that doesn't know how to select custom IPSW files on iTunes. For the benefit of all newbies, below is the command on how to Select & Restore Custom IPSW Using iTunes:
IPSW Restore iTunes

Windows: Shift+Click on Restore
Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Restore

By performing such simple command, this should bring up the browse IPSW menu. Just browse for your preferred IPSW file and iTunes should restore your device to your desired firmware. This is granted of course that Apple is still signing the IPSW that you are planning to restore to.
Select Custom IPSW
Again, seasoned users have no use for this particular post and this is more like a simple tip for beginners who have just owned an Apple device. Let us know if you have any questions on how to select and restore custom IPSW on iTunes.

More Recommended Tips:

Muhammad Shoaib1 year, 1 month ago

just press the home button when connecting the cable. and be sure that your iphone is powered off.

Cierra1 year, 2 months ago

I’m trying to downgrade from iOS 9 back to 8.4.1 but everything I press shift and press the restore button it takes me to a screen where I’m suppose to select the firmware. I did that now it keeps taking me through numerous folders and I don’t know which one to select

V1 year, 3 months ago

anyone knows how to put iphone 4s into recovery mode? it stays on apple logo screen and nothing else happens. If i wouldnt do anything about it it would stay on the apple logo screen forever, until the battery runs out. i can manage to turn it off, but holding the home button and plugging the phone into my mac does not put it in recovery mode, i get apple logo and it stays. all this happened to me after restoring original settings on the phone without connecting to my macbook. any ideas appreciated. thank you

loub1 year, 5 months ago

Great tips! I have a Iphone 4 BB 04 11 08 iOS 5.0.1 and I want to restore it to iOS 6.1.3 because I don’t want the iOS 7…is there a risk there will be conflict between the iOs 5 and 6? how could I know if the iOS 6.1.3 is signed by apple! thanks

VIJAY2 years, 2 months ago

Dear one, Can’t able to View Browser Window when i click Shift + Restore Pls Help me….

jodieeewx3 years, 2 months ago

how do I find the file I need to restore? ive only had an iphone a couple of months so definitely a beginner! many thanks!

benyaminbidabad3 years, 4 months ago

really gratefull

Fadil Shamir Khan3 years, 7 months ago

I get 3194 when using Custom stitched IPSW with shsh made by redsn0w. How to properly do this with iTunes?

Tapiwa3 years, 10 months ago

This a proper explanation. Thanx in advance restoring now let’s see what happens next

Mohamed4 years ago

will try ….thank you

blabla4 years, 1 month ago

I press shift and the browse window doesn’t opens, is there any other way around? (no, key isn’t damaged)

TheRainboomBrony4 years, 1 month ago

Your supposed to hold shift while clicking it… xD

benyaminbidabad3 years, 4 months ago

hold shift and press restoreon mac hold alt and press restore