When jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, then one of the main things that you will be dealing is a Cydia repo or source. A Cydia repo or source is a web address that is linked to a server where apps, tweaks, and other all sorts of contents are downloaded from. Upon jailbreaking your iOS device, Cydia will come pre-packaged with various default sources. But if you really want to explore what Cydia has to offer, you would really want to know how to add a source to Cydia aside from the default ones. This is a tutorial on How to Add Cydia Repo.
If you are a seasoned jailbreak user, then you will have little to no use for this guide on how to add Cydia source. This tutorial is geared more for folks that have only recently jumped into the wonderful world of jailbreaking. With that said, let’s move on to the tutorial.
Steps on How to Add Cydia Repo:
- Of course, before you can proceed, you will need to have a jailbroken iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. For assistance on how to jailbreak your device, check out these comprehensive guides: Absinthe | Redsn0w | Sn0wbreeze | Cinject
- After jailbreaking the device, Cydia will be installed and it will be placed on your Springboard. Tap the icon to launch Cydia.
- At the Cydia home screen, you should see the Manage tab at the bottom of the screen. Tap Manage. On the next screen, tap Sources.
- When on the Sources screen, Tap the Edit button on the top right portion of the screen followed by a tap on Add button on the top left.
- Now at this point, you will be asked to enter the Cydia/APT URL. Now this is where you input the repo or source address. Make sure that you enter the address accurately and must be typed exactly as they appear or else it will not work. In this case, we will be adding the address for the Insanelyi repo which is: http://repo.insanelyi.com
- Once you have successfully added the Cydia source, the URL will be verified. Cydia will then update its repository database which will only take a few seconds. Once the update is done, you should see a Return to Cydia button, tap it.
- At this point, you are pretty much done. You should be able to see the newly added Cydia repo on your list of sources. In order to view the packages that are hosted in that certain repo, simply tap on it.
Congratulations, you have just added your very first Cydia source! However, we know that you won’t be stopping at one and will be adding more sources in the future. In that case, we encourage that you check out this list of the Top Cydia Sources of 2012 (ALSO SEE: Top 10 Must Have Cydia Repos of 2013) or if you enjoy playing games, check out our list of Best Cydia Sources to Find Free Games. In case you forget, just check out this guide again when adding a new Cydia repo.