The iPhone Dev Team just updated a bunch of their jailbreak tools so that they can accommodate the latest iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. One of the tools that was recently updated was Dev Team's main jailbreak utility, Redsn0w which now sits on version 0.9.12b1. Redsn0w is by far one of the most reliable tools around when it comes to jailbreaking an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, so you can trust that we will provide you the much needed tutorial for this tool. This is how to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Untethered using Redsn0w 0.9.12b1.
Before You Proceed:
- There are actually two methods that you can attempt when jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 on your iDevice using Redsn0w 0.9.12b1. The traditional ramdisk DFU method and the non-DFU method which is similar to Absinthe and cinject. We will be covering both.
- The non-DFU method is much more universal as it is compatible with all devices that are supported by the rocky-racoon untethered jailbreak which only excludes the Apple TV 3. This is the simpler method out of the two.
- The traditional ramdisk DFU method is ONLY applicable to A4 devices and below because A5 devices can't use the limera1n exploit. This is the recommended method to use if you have a lot of media in your device to avoid possible iCloud syncing problems.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Untethered using Redsn0w 0.9.12b1:
- Make sure that your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is connected to your computer.
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.12b1 for OS X or Mac, extract the file and launch redsn0w.exe.
- Click Jailbreak from the main menu.
- Redsn0w will now work its magic so sit back and relax. Your device will then respring and you should see the Cydia icon on your home screen.
DFU Method (A4 Devices Only)
- Ensure that your device is connected to the computer.
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.12b1 (see download link from Non-DFU Method) for OS X or Mac, extract and launch the program.
- Click Jailbreak from the Main Menu.
- At this point, Redsn0w will ask you to connect your device and turn it off and prepare it for DFU mode. Click Next.
- Follow the onscreen instructions on how to place your device in DFU mode.
- When presented with the options menu, make sure that "Install Cydia" is checked. Click Next.
- Redsn0w will now jailbreak your device and all process will take place on your device. Once done, you should see Cydia in your home screen.
That's pretty much it. You should now have the latest iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak on your device. Let us know if you have questions on how to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Untethered using Redsn0w.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback