For those who are relying on unlocking solutions such as Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM will know that every release of a new firmware version is certainly a tricky affair. Updating your firmware version means you'll update your baseband as well thus losing your unlock in the process. You'll have to wait until the updated baseband becomes supported which generally takes forever. In this case, you will need to create a custom IPSW and use it to update your iOS version without losing your unlockable baseband. Here's How to Create iOS 5.1.1 Custom IPSW on Windows & Mac Using Redsn0w 0.9.12b2.
Steps on How to Create iOS 5.1.1 Custom IPSW on Windows & Mac Using Redsn0w 0.9.12b2:
- First you will need to download the stock iOS 5.1.1 IPSW files.
- Launch Redsn0w 0.9.12b2. Find the download links for the tool here.
- Click Extras and on the next screen look for the Custom IPSW option. Click it.
- You will be asked to browse for the IPSW. Select the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW you have downloaded in Step 1.
- Redsn0w will now start the custom IPSW creation process and you should receive a message indicating that the process has been successful.
- Now you will need to place your device in Pwned DFU Mode. In this case you can use Redsn0w's built-in Pwned DFU option. Click Extras > Pwned DFU.
- Make sure that your device is plugged in and switched off. Click Next and follow Redsn0w's onscreen instructions.
- Once your device is successfully placed in Pwned DFU mode, proceed to launch iTunes.
- Select your device from the side panel and click the Restore button while holding Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac). Browse for the iOS 5.1.1 custom IPSW we've made in Step 5, NOT the stock IPSW.
- iTunes will now restore your device to your iOS 5.1.1 custom IPSW.
And that's pretty much it! You should now have upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 and also preserved your baseband in the process using iOS 5.1.1 custom IPSW.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback