One of the best perks of jailbreaking an iPhone is that it will allow you to install third-party software such as SAM for iOS 5.1 that enables you to unlock your iPhone. If you have managed to jailbreak your iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS on 5.1, then you can install SAM so you can officially activate / unlock your device through iTunes. In addition, you can also use SAM to fix YouTube error on iOS 5.1 and fix Push Notifications on iOS 5.1 as well. Follow the instructions on how to Use SAM to Activate iPhone 4S/4/3GS on iOS 5.1.
Steps on How to Use SAM for iOS 5.1 to Activate iPhone 4S/4/3GS
- First you will of course require a jailbroken iPhone. For instructions on how to jailbreak iPhone on iOS 5.1: Redsn0w | Sn0wbreeze
- Once the jailbreak is successful, launch Cydia from the Springboard. On the Cydia homepage, tap the Manage tab from the bottom of the screen.
- On the next screen, tap on the large Sources button.
- On the Sources screen, tap the Edit button at the top right of the screen. Then tap the Add button that will appear in the top left portion.
- You will be asked to enter the Cydia/APT URL, in which case input: http://repo.bingner.com then tap the Add Source button.
- Cydia will now start updating, then tap the Return to Cydia button.
- Tap on the Search tab at the bottom of the screen and type in SAM in the search field.
- Select SAM from the search results and tap the Install button located in the top right of the screen to start the installation.
- Once the installation is done, Reboot your iPhone or Restart the Springboard.
- Proceed to insert your new SIM card and tap SAMPrefs which should now be found in your Springboard.
- Tap on Utilities. On the next screen, tap on De-Activate iPhone. Now if you check under the More Information screen, you should see the ActivationState to be "Unactivated".
- While SAM is enabled, tap Method and change the setting from Auto Detect to By Country and Carrier.
- Back one step on the SAM menu and tap Country and choose the country of the Original SIM.
- Back up again, and this tap on Carrier and select the Original carrier which the iPhone is locked to.
- For carriers that have more than one Carrier ID, select SIM ID.
- Now navigate to the More Information screen and copy the IMSI located under SAM details. After that, tap on Spoof Real SIM to SAM.
- Now return to the main SAM menu and paste the IMSI number you have copied earlier.
- Now hook up your iPhone into the computer and launch iTunes and it will proceed to reactivate your device. Double click on the "Phone Number" and ensure that the ICCID matches that of your SIM card. If not, then you have to go back and redo step 10.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the computer and terminate iTunes. Launch SAMPrefs again from your Springboard and disable SAM through the Enabled toggle switch.
- Now connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes again. You should see a failure to activate message which is normal. Simply close iTunes and open it again.
- In a little while, if you have done things right, you should be able to start seeing signal bars.
NOTE: If Push Notifications doesn't work after performing these steps, you can restore it by using the Clear Push utility in SAM. Just connect it to iTunes after that. That's it for our SAM for iOS 5.1 tutorial. :)