For jailbreakers as of now, there are little to no incentives to update to iOS 5.1, seeing that they will lose their all-important untethered jailbreaks. But in case you have accidentally updated your iOS device to iOS firmware 5.1, don't fret because there exists a jailbreak solution although it is a semi-tethered one. In this guide, you will learn how to jailbreak iOS 5.1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3 on Windows.
NOTE: This jailbreak is only available for A4 devices and below such as the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1 and iPod touch. If you have an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the New iPad, then you can't use this guide. Before performing the restore process, be sure that you backup your device first.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 5.1 Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3 on Windows:
- First you will need to download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3.
- Download iOS 5.1 IPSW catered for your device.
- Launch Sn0wbreeze and when you see the main screen, click on the blue arrow found on the bottom-right of the screen.
- Sn0wbreeze will now ask you to browse for an IPSW file. Select the iOS 5.1 IPSW file which you have downloaded in Step 2. The program will then verify the selected firmware file.
- You will then be presented with a host of options. If you are looking to unlock your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS (old basebands), then choose "Expert Mode."
- The next screen will present you a number of options. If you are not sure what to select, simply click Build IPSW since all you need for now is to jailbreak and install Cydia in your device.
- Sn0wbreeze will now create your custom IPSW. After the process is complete, you will be notified that it's done.
- Not it's time to put your device into DFU Mode in preparation for the restore process. Simply follow the instruction shown by Sn0wbreeze. Once your device is in DFU Mode, the program will do its thing.
- Now we need to load the custom IPSW we've created in Steps 6 & 7. Launch iTunes and while the device is still in DFU Mode, hold down the SHIFT button and click on Restore. Select the custom IPSW we've made earlier.
Booting Into Tethered State Using iBooty:
As this is a tethered jailbreak, each time your device powers down or reboots, you will need to use iBooty to perform a tethered boot..
- Launch iBooty.exe, choose your iDevice from the drop-down list and click on the Start button.
- Now you will need to place your device into DFU Mode once again. Just follow the on-screen instructions.
- As soon as the program detects your device being in DFU Mode, it will proceed to patch your iBoot with Limera1n exploit and will boot your iDevice into tethered jailbroken state.
Converting Tethered Jailbreak into Semi-Tethered:
Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback
If you want to turn your tethered jailbreak into a semi-tethered one, simply head over to Cydia and install the SemiTethered package. This way you do not have to use a computer just to boot your device but you won't be able to access many if not all of your jailbreak tweaks and apps. Hopefully, the above step-by-step guide must have helped you to jailbreak iOS 5.1 on your iDevice.