As you may already know, the much awaited jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for iOS 5 has finally touched down. It has been quite a long wait for iPhone 4S owners (iPad 2 users had the untethered jailbreak by Comex) and it was certainly worth it. The new jailbreak tool specifically to jailbreak iOS 5 into iPhone 4S and iPad 2 is called Absinthe by the Chronic Dev Team. Initially, it was released for the Mac version only but it wasn't long before the Windows version was released. This time we will be providing a tutorial on how to jailbreak your iPhone 4S and iPad 2 using Absinthe for Windows.
Before You Proceed:
- This jailbreak guide is for the Windows version of Absinthe v0.2 which fixes several issues with earlier versions such as VPN and white Cydia icon issues.
- As a safety precaution, backup your device in iTunes.
- iPad 2 owners will need to be in iOS 5.0.1 in order to use Absinthe and apply the jailbreak.
Supported Devices and Firmware:
- iPhone 4S | iOS 5.0 (9A334)
- iPhone 4S | iOS 5.0.1 (9A405)
- iPhone 4S | “other” iOS 5.0.1 (9A406)
- iPad2 | iOS 5.0.1 (9A405)
Steps on How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4S & iPad 2 in Windows Using Absinthe:
- Go and download Absinthe for Windows. Extract the downloaded file and run absinthe.exe as an administrator by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Run as Administrator".
- Connect your iPhone 4S and iPad 2 to the computer via USB.
- Absinthe will now try to detect the connected device. Once the program has detected the device, click on the Jailbreak button.
- Absinthe will now proceed to jailbreak your device and this can be quite a lengthy process. Absinthe will present several status messages, so during this step, DO NOT ever touch or disconnect your device.
- Once the process is complete in Absinthe, it will ask you to unlock your screen if needed. Look for the Absinthe icon from your Home screen and tap it.
- Once the Absinthe icon has been tapped, you will be shown a webview of the GreenPois0n website, and your device will now reboot. Once it is loaded back up, the Absinthe icon will be changed into a Cydia icon.
And that's it, you are now holding a jailbroken iPhone 4S or iPad 2 in your hands! Congratulations, enjoy the perks of having a jailbroken device!Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback