Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered on iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch (A4) Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 / Corona [How-To Guide]

It has been a long wait ladies and gentlemen! Ever since Apple's latest and greatest mobile operating system iOS 5 has been released, iOS device owners have been clamoring for an untethered jailbreak. And what do you know, it is finally here. Yes, folks! iOS 5 untethered jailbreak is finally here.

iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak
Well, technically this untethered jailbreak is for iOS 5.0.1. Interestingly enough, it is not yet available for iOS 5.0 which was initially thought to be the landing pad for the much awaited untethered jailbreak. Last week, pod2g has finally passed his untethered jailbreak to the Chronic-Dev Team in order wrap it up into a package in order to be released. And it is finally here people, just in time for the New Year. Without further ado, here's our tutorial for iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak.

NOTE: The jailbreak is only available for A4 devices and below. So if you have an A5 device such as the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, you CANNOT use this guide. Just take comfort at the fact that pod2g and the Chronic-Dev Team are working very hard to bring an untethered jailbreak to you as well. And take note that there are two sets of tutorial below. One is for users who have already tethered jailbreak their device to iOS 5.0.1 and the other is for the users who are yet to jailbreak their device. For Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM unlockers, read the note at the bottom of the post.

UPDATE x1: Users are reporting that this might actually conflict with the Semi-Tethered jailbreak tweak, so it is advisable that you uninstall SemiTether from Cydia before proceeding with this jailbreak.
UPDATE x2: Redsn0w has been updated to version 0.9.10b2 in order to address the "launchctl" error which causes some Cydia tweaks and apps to not work. More info and updated download links can be found here.

Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered (For iOS 5.0.1 Tethered Users):

1. Launch Cydia from your Springboard.
  2. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Launch Cydia
    Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Cydia Home

3. Tap on the Search tab below.
  4. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Search Cydia

5. Enter "Corona" into the search field (without quotes).
  6. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Search Corona

7. The tweak called "Corona 5.0.1 Untether" should appear in the search results. Select Corona 5.0.1 Untether.
  8. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Corona 5.0.1

9. At the upper right corner of the screen, click on Install then Confirm.
  10. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Install Corona 5.0.1
    Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Install Corona 5.0.1 Confirm

11. Cydia should now start installing Corona, and when it is done, click on Return to Cydia.
  12. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Corona Installed

13. And that's pretty much it! You are done and you can now test your brand new iOS 5.0.1 Untethered jailbreak.

Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered (For Stock iOS 5.0.1 Users):

1. Download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.10b1) for Mac or Windows. (See UPDATE X2 above)
  2. Connect your iDevice and launch Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and click on the "Jailbreak" button.
  3. redsn0w 0.9.10b1 Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered

4. You will then be asked to turn off your iOS device and place it into DFU Mode. Just follow Redsn0w's onscreen instructions.
  5. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Redsn0w DFU Mode

6. Once Redsn0w detects that your device is in DFU Mode, check on "Install Cydia" and click Next.
  7. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Install Cydia

8. The untethered jailbreak will now be applied into your device, so all activity from here on will take place in your iOS device.
  9. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak Applied

10. And you are done! Congratulations, you now have the latest untethered jailbreak version on iOS 5.0.1. Enjoy!!

For Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM Unlockers:

Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Redsn0w Custom IPSW
Before updating to iOS 5.0.1, make sure that you create a custom IPSW using the option that's found in Redsn0w: Extras > Custom IPSW. Use the custom IPSW to restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. These steps are for preserving your unlockable baseband so that you can use Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM later. DO NOT update using stock IPSW from Apple or through iTunes.

And there you have it folks, iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak just in time before the year ends. We encourage everyone to support pod2g, Chronic-Dev Team and iPhone Dev-Team through donations for making this untethered jailbreak possible. Needless to say, if Apple releases a new firmware, DO NOT update as you will lose your jailbreak.

Now that you have untethered jailbreak your device on iOS 5.0.1, you might want to check out these:

CatLover4 years ago

Hey, i have an ipod touch 4g with ios 4.3.3 untethered. I’d like to upgrade it to ios 5.01 or 5.1.1 untethered. I hope someone could tell me how to do this!? Thx,CatLover

Anotizen4 years, 7 months ago

Will this work on iTouch 1G?

Pesmerga4 years, 7 months ago

I don’t really think so. :

dnpoof4 years, 8 months ago

I have an iphone 3g with 5.0.1 IOS, not saved SHSH bloobs earlier, I noticed that thescreen shot is the shsh 4.3.5, jailbreak but I did not appeared the chance to save theSHSH how do I downgrade to version before?

iRome4 years, 10 months ago

Hi I have my Iphone4 IOS 4.3.3 unlock unthethered jailbreak, does it really need to update to IOS 5.0.1 and then jailbreak again? Im afraid i get more problem later on. please advise! thanks..

Pesmerga4 years, 10 months ago

If you really want to hop in into iOS 5, now is your best chance. On the next firmware update, Apple will have already plugged the untethered exploit. Once Apple releases the iOS 5.1 officially, you will not be able to restore to iOS 5.0.1 anymore, once they stop signing it. Thus, you will miss the untethered jailbreak.

Is your iPhone factory unlocked?

iRome4 years, 10 months ago

Due to problem encounter wih SAM, my phone never turn ON and restore to IOS 5.0.1 FW 04.11.08 . Can I still do Jailbreak on my Iphone4 using Redsnow. I remember I use Ultrasnow for unlock. Thanks a lot for assistance.

iRome4 years, 10 months ago

Does it is applicable now to my Iphone4 restore to IOS 5.0.1 BB 04.11.08 locked? Thanks a lot.

Pesmerga4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, this will work on your iPhone 4, just be sure to download the latest version of Redsn0w: http://bit.ly/wOFKEO

iRome4 years, 9 months ago

Hello, i try to jailbreak my iphone4 but sadly not successful so it restore back to IOS5.01 thru itunes (4.11.08 ). Should I do first the Custom IPSW then the normal unthetered JB? Thanks a lot for assistance…

Pesmerga4 years, 9 months ago

Are you relying on an unlock?

iRome4 years, 9 months ago

How can i make sure my Iphone is unlock? should I usedifferent SIM card? Thanks a lot!

Pesmerga4 years, 9 months ago

Being unlocked means that your phone can use any sim card aside from the designated carrier. I noticed that you have restored to iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes, so now you have 04.11.08 baseband?

iRome4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, My Iphone 4 restored to IOS 5.0.1 through ITUNES, and now have 04.11.08 baseband. Does it can still have untethered jailbreak? Thanks a lot for assistance.
            Regards.

Pesmerga4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, you can always jailbreak your device, you can jailbreak again if you had failed previously. Make sure that you download the latest version of Redsn0w. You can download here: http://bit.ly/zlPmcH

matt4 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

I’ve upgraded to 5.0.1 untethered using sn0wbreeze and then the corona patch.  I’ve also installed FuriousMod 2.0 so I can skip the 112 jazz.  Now my native text message app isn’t working, so when I click on “send message” in contacts, a window opens but there is no text inside.  When I click the “messages” button the same thing happens, but the create message button shows up on the top right, yet nothing happens when tapped.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Cucuk4 years, 10 months ago

will this work if i install using snowbreeze 2.8b11 and preserve baseband

Pesmerga4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, as far as I know Sn0wbreeze + Corona works fine. :)

Neel4 years, 10 months ago

Hey all!

i have my iphone 3gs running jailbroken and unlocked 4.3.3 on bb 6.15.00
    i recently updated it using the latest version of redsnow and created a custom ipsw file for 5.0.1 using redsnow and restored it to custom ipsw using itunes. it worked and i now have it on 5.0.1 bb 6.15.00
    when i tried jailbreaking it with the latest version of redsnow..it goes up to the second stage and says no identifying data fetched and my device reboots :/

any help would be very much appreciated!!
    Thanks!! :)

Neel4 years, 10 months ago

and i tried jailbreaking with redsnows latest version by going into redsnow-> extras -> select IPSW-> then i selected stock fimware for ios 5.0.1 and it went through the process and in the middle it stopped and said exploit failed :/

Patrick4 years, 10 months ago

Are you sure you’ve been using the latest version of Redsn0w? This should be the latest version: http://bit.ly/sEvhr9

Neel4 years, 10 months ago

0.9.10b7 is the latest!!

Neel4 years, 10 months ago

again exploit failed :/

Pesmerga4 years, 10 months ago

Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 is the latest.. You can go check the iPhone Dev Team’s site if you want: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

If it still doesn’t work, try installing a tethered jailbreak and then convert it to untethered with Corona…

Henk4 years, 11 months ago

Hi i have tetethered jailbreak workt ok did the corona thing and kept on rebooting removed corona and its ok now

AI4 years, 11 months ago

i tried to jailbreak my device but when i open redsnow 0.9.10b3 and put my device in DFU Mode this thing comes up ( http://1.ming.site90.net/images/c2c48a32443a.jpg ) and my phone just rebots and starts up …
    nothing more and not jailbroken…

Srikanth4 years, 11 months ago

I have successfully jailbroken my iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0.1 using redsn0w latest version.
    and i have unlocked it using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 3 days ago.
    The phone worked fine but today i got a problem that when i was changed SIM on my iPhone. after changing SIM. i press power button to switch it on. my iphone3GS “stucked at white apple logo and black screen”.i unable to switch it off also.
    i don’t to know what to do.can i rejailbreak it.what is the solution?

Please help me.
    Thanking you.

GZZZzzz4 years, 11 months ago

Hi, I hope someone can help me with my question.

I have a jailbroken, unlocked 3GS, model MC139DN,
    running 4.1 (8B117), carrier 8.0 with modem firmware 06.15.00.

Now, I want to upgrade to 5.01. When I do so, will all my apps
    be deleted or are they still available after upgrading?

Thanks so much for your answer.

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Just to be sure, backup all of you apps and other content through iTunes. If oyu use OTA update, your apps will still be there but if you use an IPSW to update, your apps will be gone.

sach4 years, 11 months ago

WOW!

After 3 days of fighting with no service/no SIM card error finally i get it work on 3GS bb 6.15.00 new BootRom.

How I did it:

1. Disable firewall (littleSnitch) on computer (mac in my case) and put of your SIM card
    2. Get version of you BootRom, Tutorial: http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/06/check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-windows-mac/
    Old BootRom [iBoot-359.3] while the newer units of iPhone 3GS has
    New BootRom [iBoot-359.3.2].
    3. Cook a custom IPSW in redsn0w with right BootRom selected.
    4. Put your phone in pwned DFU with redsn0w.
    5. Shutdown redsn0w and start iTunes.
    6. Use “Option” restore in Mac or “Shift” restore in Windows.
    Select the custom cooked IPSW.
    7. After restore, close iTunes and open redsn0w and jailbreak with Cydia and iPad bb selected (if you have already iPad bb, if not think twice, be sure you want iPad bb on 3gs).
    During jailbreak you can get GivingUp error on your iPhone, just wait it can take sometimes 3-5 min to start process again.
    8. After reboot install ultrasn0w 1.2.5
    9. Reboot
    10. Insert SIM Card, if Not recognized then go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode on and off, and phone have to recognize you SIM card.

p.s. sometimes you maybe will need to re aplay jailbreak process again to get it work.

Hope it will help some body :)

BG4 years, 11 months ago

hello,

i have a iphone 3gs which i jailbroke and unlocked using redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 back in june. so i now have ios 4.3.3 and baseband 06.15.00. i’m not sure how i go about upgrading to ios 5.0.1 from here…can you help? thanks!

M11ggas4 years, 11 months ago

Hi please can u tell me how I save my shsh blobs for 4.3.3untethered jailbreak before I update to ios 5.0.1…. Also may sound daft but I update from itunes to 5.0.1? When I update will I lose all my jailbreak apps that I have downloaded? If so is they any way I can back up my jailbreak apps and if so plz can u advice on how..
    Many thanks on previous replies..

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

You can use iFaith (assuming you are in Windows) to save your 4.3.3 SHSH blobs, just download the latest version and follow this guide: http://bit.ly/uVE94i

If you are going to update using iTunes, then I guess it would be okay but in case you want to backup your Cydia apps and tweaks: http://bit.ly/ujILTM

Stefan4 years, 11 months ago

I jailbroke via custom redsnow made ipsw and is not activated. Hod do i activate it?

JackLord4 years, 11 months ago

Now that you have restored using the custom IPSW, try re jailbreaking your device using Redsn0w. Redsn0w custom firmware is not prejailbroken nor hacktivated, so you will need to jailbreak again to hacktivate.

Ketul Savla4 years, 11 months ago

Hi…
    I have a new iPhone 3GS model. I tried to jailbreak the iPhone using Redsn0w’s latest version. but my iPhone is not activated with original sim. So its is not stuck @ connect to iTunes windows.

What should i do now ??

Thanks in advance

Stefan4 years, 11 months ago

Yes i am using unlock! And when i made the custom ipsw it said that this ipsw is not supported by this version of redsnow and i have the newest one

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Redsn0w will only recognize stock IPSWs not custom, so be sure that you use the stock iOS 5.0.1 IPSW from Apple.

Stefan4 years, 11 months ago

I need to make a custom ipsw so ican jailbreak, cause ill lose baseband. Otherwise how can i jailbreak it to 5.0.1

Stefan4 years, 11 months ago

It says that for newer models 3gs that i need to have some blobs! And i donnt have a 5.0.1 blob only 4.1 and 4.3.3! What should i do?

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

SHSH Blobs are only needed when downgrading to a firmware which Apple has stopped signing. And besides, you need to be in that firmware in order to grab its blobs. iOS 5.0.1 is the latest firmware and is being signed by Apple, you can update without needing blobs. Are you using an unlock?

M11ggas4 years, 11 months ago

Hi just a quick question do I update to 5.0.1 through itunes and then use redsnow to jailbreak or is their another way of updating? A guy on here says he tried updating through smowbreeze… I am a bit confused on the best way to upgrade to 5.0.1….. please help I have iphone 3gs 4.3.3untethered jailbreak.
    Thanks for any replies…

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

As of now I don’t think sn0wbreeze has been updated to work with the latest iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak, it will surely come though.

As of now, your best bet is to jailbreak using Redsn0w. I suggest that you save your SHSH blobs first, in case you haven’t yet so you can downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 just in case. Next step would be to create a custom iOS 5.0.1 IPSW and use it to restore your device (this is for the purpose of preserving your baseband incase you use an unlock). After restoring, jailbreak it using RedSn0w 0.9.10b2.

Hope that helps!

Srikanth4 years, 11 months ago

i have Iphone 3gs and it is stuked in infinite DFU mode while upgrading to iOS 4.3.3 last 2 months ago.

still i m waiting for an unthreted jailbreak and unlock. i have no ShSh blubs saved.

can i update to unthreted iOS 5.0.1 using redsn0w now?
    please help me.
    thanking u.

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

As you can see, untethered jailbreak is now available in iOS 5.0.1, which is now the latest firmware. Are you currently using an unlock? If that’s the case, you should create a custom iOS 5.0.1 IPSW and use that to restore in order to preserve your unlockable baseband.

Mitendra4 years, 11 months ago

Hello Jaxov,

Here are my iPhone details:-
    – iTunes Version 10.2.2.14
    – iOS Version: 4.3.3
    – Already Jail broken
    – Base band: 4.10.1 using Gevey for unlock.

Please answer following questions for me. Thanks in advance.

1. Do I need to update iTunes? If yes, then which version, download links?
    2. Should I download iOS 5.0.1 from web to cook it for custom IPSW by ReadSn0w? If yes, any download links for iOS 5.0.1?
    3. Process should be:
    download iOS 5.0.1 -> cook for custom IPSW by ReadSn0w -> update to iOS 5.0.1 with the same -> add cydia -> use the Corona 5.0.1 untethered unlock.

Thanks again,
    @iMitendra

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Hi, I’ll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

1. Yes, you need to update iTunes, restoring to iOS 5.0.1 will cause errors if you are not on the latest version. Download iTunes 10.5.2 here: http://bit.ly/scc0vg

2. Yes, you will be needing the stock iOS 5.0.1 IPSW from Apple which you will be using to cook a custom firmware in Redsn0w. Download links are here: http://bit.ly/s9Z2Nz

3. Looks good! Although it would be recommended that you do a clean restore to iOS 5.0.1 (with the custom IPSW of course) in order to lessen conflicts and problems. The use Redsn0w latest version to untether jailbreak your device found here: http://bit.ly/sQfx6P (See update X2 in the post) Just be sure to backup your content from iTunes as well as your Cydia packages.

Hope that helps!!

Mitendra4 years, 11 months ago

Hello Jaxov,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. If for sure helps :). I will try to follow the procedure on coming weekend and let you know about how did it go.

Thanks again,
        @iMitendra

M11ggas4 years, 11 months ago

Hi guys I have iphone 3gs 4.3.3untethered jailbreak.. when I upgrade to ios 5.0.1 will cydia be removed from my home screen and thus use the second way on jailbreaking my idevice?
    Thanks on replies..

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, you will be using the second method which jailbreaks your device and install Cydia.

/iAi\4 years, 11 months ago

So Awesome!
    Thank you Pod2g And Thank you jaxov.com for sharing this ;)

sach4 years, 11 months ago

So I did jailbreak for Stock users, and Cydia installed and it was no error during install, but now I have no signal, phone is not recognize my SIM card, could you help please?
    3GS iPad bb

Ehler Lacanilao4 years, 11 months ago

i got an iphone 3gs 4.3.3. BB 06.15.00 and im trying to upgrade to iOS5.0.1 using snowbreeze.. so i made a custom firmware (hacktivate) but when im trying to restore it using itunes i get constantly get an error 1602 or 1601 no matter what i do.. i use ireb and pwnd dfu but still get the same errors… ggrrr… please help…

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

16xx errors suggests that you may not have put your device in pwned DFU mode properly, try using the latest version of Redsn0w to put your device in Pwned DFU to prepare for the restore.

Hope that helps!

Jimmy4 years, 11 months ago

You may want to add a note that Semitether tweak will actually crash with the untethered jailbreak pack (Corna) therefore we should remove Semitether before proceeding with the untethered jailbreak “upgrade”

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the heads-up Jimmy. The post has been updated! ;)

Akwasi4 years, 11 months ago

pls i cant find corona 5.0.1 untethered from cydia. pls any help

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Are you sure? I just checked and it is there. Be sure that you update your Cydia and its packages.

sach4 years, 11 months ago

hi
    what mean For Stock iOS 5.0.1 Users? When i have 4.3.3 jailbroken 3gs and restore to 5.0.1 then I’m a stock user?

Patrick4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, you are a stock user if you haven’t jailbroken your device to iOS 5.0.1 yet. The first method requires Cydia, the second method is for those who doesn’t have Cydia yet (i.e. non-jailbroken devices).