It has been a long wait ladies and gentlemen! Ever since Apple’s latest and greatest mobile operating system iOS 5 has been released, iOS device owners have been clamoring for an untethered jailbreak. And what do you know, it is finally here. Yes, folks! iOS 5 untethered jailbreak is finally here.
Well, technically this untethered jailbreak is for iOS 5.0.1. Interestingly enough, it is not yet available for iOS 5.0 which was initially thought to be the landing pad for the much awaited untethered jailbreak. Last week, pod2g has finally passed his untethered jailbreak to the Chronic-Dev Team in order wrap it up into a package in order to be released. And it is finally here people, just in time for the New Year. Without further ado, here’s our tutorial for iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak.
NOTE: The jailbreak is only available for A4 devices and below. So if you have an A5 device such as the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, you CANNOT use this guide. Just take comfort at the fact that pod2g and the Chronic-Dev Team are working very hard to bring an untethered jailbreak to you as well. And take note that there are two sets of tutorial below. One is for users who have already tethered jailbreak their device to iOS 5.0.1 and the other is for the users who are yet to jailbreak their device. For Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM unlockers, read the note at the bottom of the post.
UPDATE x1: Users are reporting that this might actually conflict with the Semi-Tethered jailbreak tweak, so it is advisable that you uninstall SemiTether from Cydia before proceeding with this jailbreak.
UPDATE x2: Redsn0w has been updated to version 0.9.10b2 in order to address the “launchctl” error which causes some Cydia tweaks and apps to not work. More info and updated download links can be found here.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered (For iOS 5.0.1 Tethered Users):
- Launch Cydia from your Springboard.
- Tap on the Search tab below.
- Enter “Corona” into the search field (without quotes).
- The tweak called “Corona 5.0.1 Untether” should appear in the search results. Select Corona 5.0.1 Untether.
- At the upper right corner of the screen, click on Install then Confirm.
- Cydia should now start installing Corona, and when it is done, click on Return to Cydia.
- And that’s pretty much it! You are done and you can now test your brand new iOS 5.0.1 Untethered jailbreak.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered (For Stock iOS 5.0.1 Users):
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.10b1) for Mac or Windows. (See UPDATE X2 above)
- Connect your iDevice and launch Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and click on the “Jailbreak” button.
- You will then be asked to turn off your iOS device and place it into DFU Mode. Just follow Redsn0w’s onscreen instructions.
- Once Redsn0w detects that your device is in DFU Mode, check on “Install Cydia“ and click Next.
- The untethered jailbreak will now be applied into your device, so all activity from here on will take place in your iOS device.
- And you are done! Congratulations, you now have the latest untethered jailbreak version on iOS 5.0.1. Enjoy!!
For Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM Unlockers:
Before updating to iOS 5.0.1, make sure that you create a custom IPSW using the option that’s found in Redsn0w: Extras > Custom IPSW. Use the custom IPSW to restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. These steps are for preserving your unlockable baseband so that you can use Ultrasn0w and Gevey SIM later. DO NOT update using stock IPSW from Apple or through iTunes.
And there you have it folks, iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak just in time before the year ends. We encourage everyone to support pod2g, Chronic-Dev Team and iPhone Dev-Team through donations for making this untethered jailbreak possible. Needless to say, if Apple releases a new firmware, DO NOT update as you will lose your jailbreak.
Now that you have untethered jailbreak your device on iOS 5.0.1, you might want to check out these: