When it comes to jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, one of the most reliable jailbreak tool around is the iPhone Dev-Team's Redsn0w. This jailbreak tool has the distinction of being very easy to use and the fact that it is almost always updated to keep up with Apple's own software update. Now it has been updated to version 0.9.9b9b.
As you may have noticed recently, Apple has been on a constant wave of updates after updates with regards to their most advanced mobile operating system yet, the iOS 5. It is a good thing that the iPhone Dev-Team is able to keep up with the Cupertino giant's constant update in order to ensure to bring us a reliable jailbreak tool. And this time, iPhone-Dev has certainly added a lot of new features and functions to Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b.
From iPhone Dev Team Blog:
- native support for 5.0.1 (no need to point redsn0w at 5.0 IPSW or use command-line args). Support automatically extends to all of redsn0w’s various functions: “Jailbreak”, “Just boot”, “Fetch blobs”, “Stitch blobs”, “Recovery Fix”
- iBooks fixed in 5.0 and 5.0.1. This is a targeted fix that doesn’t remove entire sandbox mechanism. 5.x users already using redsn0w “Just Boot” can just use the new version without redoing entire jailbreak again
- 3GS old-bootrom owners can now create custom IPSWs without blobs
- ultrasn0w compatability update (i.e. same baseband requirements) for 5.0.1 will be available on Cydia Monday
- support for newer 8GB iPhone4 (which until now had problems with “Fetch blobs”). Thanks to @JKjeepnJeff for loaning us one of these newer i4 units for testing!
- allows Windows users (not just OS X users) to use the “Custom” button to create IPSWs without baseband updates. (Update: please wait for 0.9.9b9b for this!)
- accommodates APTickets in 5.x (until next Apple countermove). APTickets are crypto-verified before submitting to Cydia, just like the main blobs. Cydia server support for sending back the APTickets is upcoming. For now, use stitched IPSWs for 5.x. Due to APTickets, stitched 5.x IPSWs now require user to start in “Pwned DFU” mode
- Support added for stitching 4.x blobs to iPad2-GSM IPSWs. Similar to @notcom’s TinyCFW but doesn’t require lots of RAM or a TSS-assisted restore. Won’t work for iPad2 5.x blobs (or iPhone4S at all) until a bootrom-level exploit is out
- top line now shows whether (and where) a redsn0w update is available, or if the version being run is the latest. Uses DNS TXT record to alleviate any concerns about snooping
- no 5.1 beta support at this time (major apps like Cydia are not yet compatible)
- @pod2g has been doing a great job porting his 5.x untether…check his blog for updates!
- Owners of newer 3GS iPhones must not flash the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will not work on 3GS iPhones built later than 2011 week 35. You have a week 35 or later device if your serial # starts with xx135.
As you can see, that is quite handful of new features for the latest version of Redsn0w. Probably some of the most notable ones is that the jailbreak tool now fully supports the latest firmware update which is iOS 5.0.1, so you do not have to point Redsn0w to its IPSW for all the tool's modules. Another major feature that has been added is the ability to downgrade to iOS 5.x as long as you have the required blobs. And lastly with 0.9.9b9b, Windows users will finally be able to create their custom IPSWs in order to preserve their basebands.
Overall, this looks like a very solid version of Redsn0w and with all the added features it would be wise to update your version as well. Those of you are who are waiting for an untethered solution will have to wait but rest assured that pod2g is already on the case. And it is looking pretty good. Hopefully we get it before the year ends. [via MuscleNerd]
Update x1: This version of Redsn0w has been updated to version 0.9.9b9d. Links should work now.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback