Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Final on iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch Using Redsn0w [How-To Guide]

Just a few hours ago, after releasing two pre-release versions, Apple finally released the final version of iOS 5.0.1. In light of the recent complaints about the widespread battery drain problems, the Cupertino company issued a fix in the form of iOS 5.0.1. So if you are a regular reader of our blog, you are probably wondering if iOS 5.0.1 can be jailbroken. Well good news, because it has been confirmed that iOS 5.0.1 can be jailbroken using Redsn0w. And as usual we will be providing you the much needed step-by-step guide.

NOTE: This is a tethered jailbreak which means that you will need to hook up your device to a computer once it reboots and tether boot it using Redsn0w to restore it to its jailbroken state. For the record, there is no untethered jailbreak available for iOS 5.0.1 or iOS 5 in general for that matter. But you can choose to convert this jailbreak to semi-tethered. Gevey SIM or Ultrasn0w unlockers please skip to the bottom of the guide. In addition, this jailbreak will not work on the iPad 2 and the new iPhone 4S.

Things You Need Before You Proceed:

Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Final Using Redsn0w:

1. Download and install iOS 5.0.1 on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iTunes 10.5.
  2. After the firmware update, open the latest version of Redsn0w and you should be able to see two options: Jailbreak and Extras. Click on Extras for now.
  3. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with Redsn0w-0.9.9b8

4. Click on Select IPSW and point it to iOS 5.0 Final, not iOS 5.0.1.
  5. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1-Select-IPSW

6. After that, go back to the main menu and Click on the Jailbreak button. You will then be asked by Redsn0w to place your device in DFU Mode so go ahead and follow the on-screen instructions.
  7. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1-DFU-Mode

8. Once your device is in DFU Mode, click Install Cydia and Redsn0w will take it from here.
  9. After the jailbreak is applied, you may notice that the Cydia icon is displayed in pure white. In that case, you simply need to tether boot your device (see mini guide below). In some instances you may need to manually select the iOS 5.0 Final IPSW prior to booting into tethered mode in order to make Cydia accessible.
  10. Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 White Cydia Icon

Booting in Tethered Mode:

Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1-Tethered-Boot
Since this is a tethered jailbreak you will need to connect your iDevice to a computer each time it shuts down or reboots. To tether boot using Redsn0w, simply connect the device to your computer. Launch Redsn0w > Extras > Just Boot. You will then be asked again to place your device to DFU Mode, so just follow the instructions that are provided.

Converting to Semi-Tethered Jailbreak:

Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Semi-tethered
Fortunately, the SemiTether tweak works with iOS 5.0.1 too so you can at least offset some of the disadvantages of a tethered jailbreak. In semi-tethered jailbreak, your device can still be used despite after a reboot. The only downside is that you won't be able to access your jailbreak tweaks and apps until you boot it into tethered mode again. Here's the complete guide on how to convert your jailbreak to tethered mode.

Note to Users with Gevey SIM or Ultrasn0w Unlock:

Upgrading to stock iOS 5.0.1 is NOT RECOMMENDED because you may lose your unlock by upgrading to an unlockable baseband. What you need to do is to restore your device using a custom firmware of iOS 5.0.1 instead. This is so you can unlock your device using Gevey SIM or UltraSn0w (not yet available for iOS 5.0.1).

You can use Sn0wbreeze 2.8b11 to create one for your device & then restore to it later for an unlock. The steps are similar to any Sn0wbreeze instructions set. Just make sure that you use the right IPSW with the right version of Sn0wbreeze.

NOTE: Custom IPSW creation is only available for the Mac version of Redsn0w for iOS 5.0 ONLY. We will update this post once it becomes available in Redsn0w.

mmmridul4 years, 4 months ago

i have unlocked my iphone4 with SAm unlock. upgraded to 5.1. cudia crashed after rebutting. now if i tether it will i loose my SAM unlock. do i take out my sim when i am tethering.thanks.

Des4 years, 5 months ago

Hi, Will I be able to jailbreak my iphone 4 when the firmware is 04.11.08?

Pesmerga4 years, 5 months ago

You surely mean baseband right? Baseband has got nothing to do with jailbreaks, only firmware. Although it is essential for unlocking.

Muhammad Sohail4 years, 6 months ago

how to downgrade iphone 4 baseband 4.11.08 in lower baseband anyway please give me some solution on that point please mail me plz muhammadsohail19@yahoo.com

krish22034 years, 9 months ago

Dear Jacklord,

Thanks for replying me. I am not sure if i did use a custom firmware because i did updated my iphone directly on itunes and my firmware is 04.11.08. But can you please tell me if Redsnow or snowbreeze will be of any use if in case i updated it directly on itunes?? And also if it exists any compatible hardware other than Gevey which i can use to unlock my iphone 4.

Kind Regards krish2203

krish22034 years, 9 months ago

Hi pramod,

Thanks for all the update but i recently had a problem with my iphone 4; i am using Genvey but yesterday i have downloaded the new iphone version5.0.1 but now when i am inserting my sim it remains on “No Service”!! Can you please tell me what i can do??

Jacklord4 years, 9 months ago

@krish2203 Hi,

When you updated to iOS 5.0.1, did you use a custom firmware? In order to preserve your unlock, you will need a custom iOS 5.0.1 firmware made by Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze. If you haven’t then, I’m afraid you have lost your unlock already so you won’t be able to use Gevey.

krish22034 years, 9 months ago

@Jacklord@krish2203

Dear Jacklord,

Kind Regards krish2203

krish22034 years, 9 months ago

@Jacklord

Dear Jacklord, Thanks for replying my mail. I am not sure if i did use a custom firmware because i did updated my iphone directly on itunes and my firmware is 04.11.08. But can you please tell me if Redsnow or snowbreeze will be of any use if in case i updated it directly on itunes?? And also if it exists any compatible hardware other than Gevey which i can use to unlock my iphone 4.

Kind Regards

krish2203

Jacklord4 years, 9 months ago

@krish2203 Updating in iTunes means you have used a stock IPSW from Apple. As a general rule of thumb, never use a stock IPSW when you are using an Ultrasn0w or gevey sim unlock.

Always create a custom firmware to preserve your baseband (so you can use Gevey or Ultrasn0w after), but you have to make sure that you are using the latest version of Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w.

Youssef4 years, 8 months ago

hey evryone  can i know please why this fucking apple they do all of this crap  what is the pointe ??

irwin4 years, 9 months ago

i got an iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 firmware 4.11.08 would this work for my iphone?

Patrick4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, just keep in mind that it is a tethered jailbreak.

Chringletary4 years, 9 months ago

hey, I read on several different websites that Ultrasn0w would work on 5.0.1… I found several tutorials and absolutely NONE of them work.

I have an iPhone 3gs, bb 6.15.00, currently jailbroken with redsn0w0.9.9b8. I keep getting the “no signal” problem.

So is there ANYTHING I can do other than wait for Ultrasn0w to be updated? Please help, I’m phoneless. :(

manbon124 years, 9 months ago

So following your steps about pointing redsnow to ios 5.0 in this blog wont help for my iphone 3gs…???

You need to be on an Ultrasn0w unlockable BB first. Jailbreak & unlock are 2 different topics.

manbon124 years, 9 months ago

hi Pramod, my iphone 3gs was working all fine already unlocked or jailbroken before(not sure) .. mistakingly i reset my iphone getting into settings… and then i connected it to itunes and itunes upgraded it to iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore verion of ios… and now my IDEA GSM sim card does not detect in iphone and when connected to wifi at the initial setup screen my iphone does not get activated. what steps do i have to follow next… please HELP…!!! i donno any fundas of baseband… plz HELP..!!

You will now need to update your BB to an iPad’s BB first & then unlock your device. Updating your BB is a forever change, so make sure that your completely aware of the risks of updating your BB for the unlock as it has some forever consequences. (Google it extensively if necessary). Also, Ultrasn0w isn’t currently updated for iOS 5.0.1.

manbon124 years, 9 months ago

hi, my iphone was working all fine already unlocked or jailbroken before(not sure) .. mistakingly i reset my iphone getting into settings… and then i connected it to itunes and itunes upgraded it to iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore verion of ios… and now my IDEA GSM sim card does not detect in iphone and when connected to wifi at the initial setup screen my iphone does not get activated. what steps do i have to follow next… please HELP…!!! i donno any fundas of baseband… plz HELP..!!

Smart4ss4 years, 9 months ago

Can i jailbreak a ipone 4 5.0.1 with 04.11.08 bb?

Wh473v3r4 years, 9 months ago

Hi, I have used redsn0w to 09.9b8 to jailbreak my phone, I can’t get cydia to move from the white icon I have just boot and everything repeatedly and it’s not working anyone have any ideas?

Are you pointing Redsn0w to the right iOS 5.0 IPSW to boot it tethered? Can you also type in your current iOS version & the steps you performed for the tethered boot?

melodie4 years, 9 months ago

hey , im trying to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 5.0.1 and i do all the right steps and when i come to the end it says ”the connected device doesn’t support untethered options”
    what can i do?

Make sure that your choosing the right bootrom version of your device in Redsn0w. If its an old bootrom, you need to point the iOS 5.0 IPSW manually via the Select IPSW option.

dodols4 years, 9 months ago

yes i try the JUST BOOT option but “Unrecognized Build” ??

Are you sure that the IPSW you downloaded isn’t broken ? Can you reply back with the hashes of the 5.0 IPSW that your currently trying to use Redsn0w with?

patrick4 years, 9 months ago

hellp pramod,
    thank u for ur time..but i have this issue,
    i have jailbreaked my iphone 4 on 5.0.1 but when i reboot on redsn0w 0.9.9b8 it tells me the ipsw thing..so i went to put it manually in extras>select ipsw and i select the file 5.0.1 restor… but it wont accept it..how to reboot it plz? i also have it semithetered.

You need to point Redsn0w to the iOS 5.0 IPSW, not 5.0.1.

dodols4 years, 9 months ago

after jailbreak the iphone 4 ios 5.0.1, cydia appear in white and then i just boot it and point the stock ios 5.0 but the cydia still crash. what should i do?

Did you try booting it tethered using the Just Boot option?

Soverignfly4 years, 10 months ago

I just jailbroke my ip 3GS with new bootrom and with a baseband 6.15.00. Using redsn0w 0.9.9b8 with iOS 5.0 and finally unlocked with ultrasnow 1.2.4. Before my iOS was 5.0.1 . But after the unlock it doesn’t recognize my career saying ‘no sim’ ‘invalid’ or ‘searching’. Now what to do? Please help

Do you have the iPad BB installed successfully on your device? Double check that first & also downgrading your device to iOS 5.0 doesn’t make it last any longer than your next reboot because iOS 5.x downgrades are no longer the same.

Donp4 years, 10 months ago

hi

i have iphone 4 IOS 5.0.1_9A405 i want to say how to jailbreak it whit redsnow 0.9.9b5 and firmare ipod3,1_5.0.1_9A334 but just remember when you want to reboot you HAVE to select IPSW again and reboot its works

JVitor4 years, 10 months ago

Pramod,

So, the last part of the tutorial is not really true yet!? Coz it says “Click Extras from the Redsn0w main menu and select Custom IPSW, point it to iOS 5.0.1 IPSW and Redsn0w will now create the custom IPSW for you”. But, I tried to do this right now with the iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw and redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b8 and it shows the warning “Custom IPSW creation failed. Unrecognize Build”… Is it gonna be available only in “redsn0_mac_0.9.9b9”?

Yep, I have just made the relevant changes to the post. Thanks for pointing it out. Use Sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 instead on a friend’s PC to create the custom IPSW.

Davor4 years, 10 months ago

Iphone 4 unfortunately updated on IOS 5.0.1 by itunes.
    I try to jailbreack it by redsn0w 0.9.9b8 (IOS 5.0.0), but at the end the phone goes to recovery mode, doesn’t accept nothing else than restoring by itunes.
    I tried to restore with a custom firmware downloaded from the web, but itunes doesn’t do it.
    What can I do?
    There’s anybody who knows what baseband itunes installs when restores at 5.0.1?
    Thanks a lot.

You need to boot it tethered right after the Redsn0w JB. Also, your BB gets updated to 04.11.08 which is Gevey incompatible.

r77w8c394 years, 10 months ago

Works for me. Iphone 4 user here.

Before booting in Tethered Mode, please click on Select IPSW and point it to iOS 5.0 Final.

Good job, for setting a good guide.

Khaled4 years, 10 months ago

Every time i tried to use the redsnow version specified above, it would say its not set to accept 5.0.1 , any ideas?

Point Redsn0w manually to iOS 5.0 first (Use the Select IPSW option) & then JB your iOS 5.0.1 device.

ann4 years, 10 months ago

i updated my iphone 4 to 5.0.1 without doing any of the above. how can i unlock it now they don’t recognize w/ the gevey sim. =( can i still fix this?

There’s nothing that you can do about it. That upgrade killed your Gevey unlock.

sensen4 years, 10 months ago

Same exact problem…need to preserve my baseband while going up to 5.0.1 from 5.0

can’t update to 5.0.1 through apple or i’ll lose my baseband…how do i create a custom ipsw of 5.0.1 without sn0wbreeze? (I’m not on a PC)

You simply can’t create a custom IPSW out of nowhere. Only tools like Sn0wbreeze can help you with it.

Nora4 years, 10 months ago

yes I figure it out eventually , It did not worked anyway tho , Even after downloading the jailbrek on my Iphone it asked me to boot again and it gave me ” unrecognized build ” Even tho i did All he steps above and things looked just fine …

Jason4 years, 10 months ago

Pramod….I am having the same problem of Redsnow no recognizing that IPSW. I downloaded 0.9.9b8 and the IPSW from this site. Did you get it to work.

Redsn0w cannot recognize stock iOS 5.0.1 just yet. Instead point it to stock iOS 5 for a jailbreak.

Iphone4Serbia4 years, 10 months ago

I try with Redsn0w 0.9.9b7 and again

Its definitely got to be older than that. Try Redsn0w RC18.

Nora4 years, 10 months ago

What doe sit mean to” pint to ”
    this step is unclear to me:”Click on Select IPSW and point it to iOS 5.0 Final, not iOS 5.0.1.
    I dont understand how do I “point” on my comp.

Point means To Browse to. Got it?

Iphone4Serbia4 years, 10 months ago

hi when i try to select ipsw he show me this http://www.dodaj.rs/f/3E/mj/3CRNicVh/luka.png

Use an older version of Redsn0w that supports the iOS version that your trying to jailbreak.

Limber4 years, 10 months ago

I am not trying to jailbreak i just want to update to 5.0.1 and preserve baseband 1.59.00 for the future. I tried to creat a custom ipsw with redsn0w latest version but i get a build not recognize error when pointing it to stock 5.0.1. How do i point it to 5.0 and then creat custom ipsw for 5.0.1 without jailbreaking i only need custom ipsw to update trough apple and preseve baseband? I cant use sn0wbreeze because i dont have windows.

Redsn0w cannot recognize stock iOS 5.0.1 just yet & neither can it create a custom IPSW for you. It hasn’t been updated. Use Sn0wbreeze instead. Also, you will still need to JB your device if you want to use Ultrasn0w to unlock your device. That too isn’t updated yet for iOS 5.0.1.

mario4 years, 10 months ago

how do you get it to boot 5.0.1 ?, gives me an error

Point Redsn0w to iOS 5.0 & then run the Just Boot option.

Minh4 years, 10 months ago

does Gevey sim work with ios 5.01 ? Can someone confirm please?

Nope, it doesn’t work with any of the iOS versions above 5.0.

4MST4FF4 years, 10 months ago

Hi Jaxov!I have an Iphone 3GS locked on Vodafone Uk company on 4.3.3 without Jailbreak and i would like to install the ipad baseband and make an unlock to.Hould do i have to do it when the latest firmware is 5.0.1 and the jailbreak it tethered.Send me an email when you can!

colin4 years, 10 months ago

im having a problem with redsn0w 0.9.9b8. when i run the option of “select IPSW” and i select IPSW 5.0.1 i get an error stating that redsn0w doesnt recognize that IPSW. so obviously i cant jailbreak my iphone 4, any help?

Redsn0w isn’t updated yet to recognize the 5.0.1 IPSW. You need to still point it to stock iOS 5 & then run the JB on your 5.0.1 iOS.