As you may already know, the much awaited update to Apple's mobile operating system iOS 5, has been launched a month ago. Allegedly boasting about more than 200 new features, iOS device owners finally got their hands on Apple's most advanced mobile operating system. Some new features of iOS 5 are certainly welcome like the convenient OTA (over the air) updates and of course the new notifications system, the Notification Center. A while back in June we were teased that FaceTime over 3G was possible within iOS 5 but it seems that it was sadly scrapped altogether for the final version.
But as it turns out, the feature was not removed completely by the Cupertino company but was instead disabled. But the folks over at FunkySpaceMonkey with the help of user hamzasood, discovered that FaceTime over 3G can be activated natively. If you have a jailbroken device, FaceTime over 3G is possible with jailbreak apps such as My3G but this method requires some plist modification instead of installing a new app. Keep in mind that you will need a 3G device jailbroken to iOS 5 for these steps to work, since the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are not yet jailbroken to iOS 5, that leaves the iPhone 4.
Steps on How to Enable FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5:
- Download iFile or similar applications that lets you access your filesystem such as such as iExplorer for Mac and Windows. Launch it.
- Navigate to the following directory: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/
- Search for the file named N90AP.plist and open it.
- Locate the text line that says:
- Directly below the line shown above, add the following below (do not leave additional spaces or lines:
- Make sure to save the file before exiting and respring your device.
In case you haven't jailbroken your iPhone 4 to iOS 5 yet, we have a couple of guides that you can use. If you have installed the iOS 5.0 final build, refer to Redsn0w tutorial for a tethered solution. If you have updated to the latest firmware iOS 5.0.1, then check out our tutorial here for a tethered jailbreak. And if you want to convert your jailbreak to a semi-tethered one, here's our guide on how to do it.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback