In case you have missed it, Apple just released its highly anticipated update to its mobile operating system iOS, the iOS 5. Now if you are using Gevey SIM to unlock your iPhone 4, you might be wondering if the SIM will work on the iOS 5? Well as it turns out, you can unlock your iPhone 4 using Gevey SIM, you just need to follow the instructions we've detailed here and you're good to go.
Before Updating to iOS 5:
DO NOT upgrade to iOS 5 using the stock firmware from Apple. Doing so will cause your iPhone 4 to lose its unlock by upgrading its unlockable baseband. You don't want that of course. Instead of using the stock iOS 5 firmware, we will be cooking our own iOS 5 custom firmware using the latest version of Redsn0w which we will be using to upgrade our iPhone 4 to in order to preserve your unlockable baseband. This way we can use Gevey SIM to unlock your device after the upgrade. Just follow this mini guide first:
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.9b5), which has a new feature that lets you create custom IPSWs. Currently available for Mac only but we'll make sure to update this post once the Windows version is made available. Download Redsn0w (0.9.9b5) for Mac here.
- Launch Redsn0w and click "Extras" from the main menu and then select "Custom IPSW". Redsn0w will now create the custom IPSW for you. For iOS 5 IPSW download links, click here.
- Once that's done, enter "Pwned DFU" mode through Redsn0w's "Extras" option.
- After that restore to the custom firmware we've created earlier using iTunes 10.5 (download links here).
- Now you can use Gevey SIM to unlock your device.
Steps on How to Unlock iPhone 4 on iOS 5 Final Using Gevey SIM:
- Navigate to Settings » General » Network and turn OFF 3G. Make sure to keep Cellular Data and Data Roaming option ON. Also see to it that there is NO unofficial SIM present in your iPhone 4 SIM tray during this step.
- Remove the stock SIM tray from your iPhone.
- Place Gevey SIM interposer in Gevey SIM tray.
- Now put the unofficial iPhone SIM on top of Gevey SIM interposer. As shown in the image below.
- Turn OFF your iPhone 4 by holding down the Power button on top.
- Place the Gevey SIM tray together with the Gevey interposer and unofficial SIM into your iPhone.
- Now turn your device back ON.
- You should now see the Gevey Welcome message, then just tap Accept to proceed.
- Wait for a few seconds until you can see the 1-signal bar. Once you can see the 1-signal bar, open your Phone app and dial and call 112.
- After about 2 seconds, promptly end the call by tapping the End button.
- Navigate your way to Settings and enable Airplane Mode. Just let it be and wait till you see the "No SIM card installed" message. As soon as the message pops-up, tap the OK button to close the message and then turn Airplane Mode back to OFF.
- By disabling Airplane Mode, you should see a "SIM Failure" notification. Just tap OK and that is it! Just wait until your iPhone unlocks itself.
- After a few seconds, you should see that the signal bar on your iPhone is now full. Congratulations! You have just unlocked your iPhone 4 using Gevey SIM in iOS 5.0.
Update #1: For those having issues in getting their Gevey SIM to work with the iOS 5, try the steps mentioned by Vivek or by Kiril. They sure seem to get the Gevey working real nice on iOS 5. Be sure to thank them. :D
Update #2: If the above methods did not work for you, try the Alternative Way mentioned in this pastie to get the Gevey working. Thanks to @deefilippi for the compilation & w2no for mentioning it.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback