As you all know, Apple's latest mobile operating system, the iOS 5 is now out in the wild for iDevice owners to enjoy. One of the main concerns that arises with jailbreak fans when iOS 5 was released is if an untethered jailbreak will ever be possible. iOS 5 was jailbreakable right off the bat using tools such as Redsn0w but it is only limited to tethered jailbreak which is hardly ideal for some people. But now while the Chronic Dev Team works on the untethered iOS 5 jailbreak, a tweak from Cydia surfaced that allows semi-tethered jailbreak on the iOS 5.
So What's a Semi-Tethered Jailbreak?
A tethered jailbreak provides the full functionalities of a jailbroken device but each time your device gets shut down or reboots, you will need to connect it into a computer and boot it to tethered mode using a program like Redsn0w. With a semi-tethered jailbreak, connecting your device and tethered booting it into its jailbroken state will not be necessary, sounds just like an untethered jailbreak right? Well not quite, once your device gets shut down or reboots, about 99% of your jailbreak tweaks and apps won't work until you run it over Redsn0w again. A semi-tethered jailbreak at least makes your device usable as opposed to tethered ones that gets stuck in the Apple boot logo. This is very useful if you are on the road and your device dies out on you.
What Functions Can / Can't Be Done When you Are Using a Semi-Tethered Jailbreak?
According to BigBoss:
- Can use phone, sms (text messages)
- Can use every other stock app on iphone.
- Cannot use mobile safari
- Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
- Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
- You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
- While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
Steps to Semi-Tether Jailbreak iOS 5 into Your iDevice Using Semi-Tether Tweak:
- First you must install iOS 5 in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (IPSW download links here) and tether jailbreak it using Redsn0w (Read our full guide here).
- Once you have successfully jailbroken your device, launch Cydia and tap the Manage tab below.
- Tap Sources to access your Cydia repositories.
- Tap Edit on the top right corner of the screen and then tap Add found on the top left corner.
- Now you will be asked for the Cydia/APT URL. Simply add the following repository: http://thebigboss.org/semitether.
- Cydia will then download the package so give it a few seconds. Tap Return to Cydia and tap the Search tab and input "SemiTether" (without quotes) into the search field.
- Tap Install at the top right corner and reboot your device. Once that's done, you should be able to reboot your device without running it through Redsn0w for a tethered boot.
- To restore your jailbreak tweaks and apps, run it through Redsn0w by clicking Extras > Just Boot. Just follow the instructions hereafter.
Congratulations! Your have now semi-tethered jailbroken iOS 5 on your iDevice. It is not exactly the untethered jailbreak that we have been clamoring for but we believe it is the next best thing. And we are taking this as a sign of the good things to come with regards to an iOS 5 untethered solution. We are having our fingers crossed.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback