As you all know, iOS 5 is finally out for the public's download pleasure. Now we are pretty sure that most jailbreak enthusiasts would hesitate upgrading to iOS 5 since you guys aren't sure if it can be jailbroken. Well, thanks to the jailbreak community, iOS 5 final version can be jailbroken using Redsn0w, granted that you do not mind a tethered solution for now.
According to a tweet by MuscleNerd, Redsn0w 0.9.9b4 is perfectly capable of jailbreaking iOS 5 final version on all A4 iDevices. So if you are planning to upgrade to iOS 5 but still concerned whether you can jailbreak it or not, don't worry because you are pretty much on the clear now. Jailbreaking the iOS 5 final version using Redsn0w is very similar to the procedure that we covered for jailbreaking iOS 5 GM. Do not worry because with the new Redsn0w, the process is easier than ever.
Before You Proceed:
- This tutorial is not applicable for the iPad 2 or the new iPhone 4S
- As mentioned, this is a tethered jailbreak which means you will need to reconnect your device to your PC or Mac in order to boot it into tethered jailbroken state using Redsn0w.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 5.0 Final Using Redsn0w 0.9.9b4:
- First of course, you need to download the necessary files for this jailbreak: The iOS 5 IPSW file, iTunes 10.5 installer and Redsn0w 0.9.9b4. Download links for the iOS 5 IPSW can be found here, for iTunes 10.5 get it here for both Windows and Mac and finally Redsn0w 0.9.9b4 for Windows and Mac.
- Connect your iDevice into the computer and upgrade to iOS 5 final version through iTunes 10.5.
- Launch Redsn0w 0.9.9b4 and to initiate the jailbreaking process, press the "Jailbreak" that's found on the main menu of Redsn0w. The program will ask you to place your device into DFU mode, so be sure that your device is plugged in and turned OFF before clicking Next. Just follow the on-screen instructions to put your device to DFU Mode.
- After Redsn0w has detected your device in DFU Mode, it will now proceed to jailbreak your device. You can now let the program do all the work for you, so you are pretty much done here.
How to Boot to into Tethered Mode:
Since this is a tethered jailbreak, you will need to boot your device using Redsn0w each time it gets shutdown or loses battery power. To do that, just select "Extras" and then "Just Boot" option. You will be prompted by Redsn0w to put your device in DFU mode and once you've done it, your device will boot into tethered jailbreak mode.
Note to Users with Gevey SIM or Ultrasn0w Unlock:
Upgrading to iOS 5 using stock firmware is NOT RECOMMENDED because it will cause you to lose your unlock by upgrading your unlockable baseband. What you need to do instead is use the latest version of Redsn0w to create a custom firmware of iOS 5 which will preserve your baseband. This way you will be able to unlock your device using Ultrasn0w or Gevey SIM.
- Just click "Extras" from the main Redsn0w menu and then select "Custom IPSW". Redsn0w will create the custom IPSW for you.
- Once that's done, enter "Pwned DFU" mode again through Redsn0w's "Extras" option.
- After that restore to the custom firmware using iTunes 10.5.
- Now you can use Gevey SIM or Ultrasn0w to unlock your device.
As an alternate option for those who rely on an unlock, can use Sn0wbreeze v2.8b8 to jailbreak iOS 5 final on their iPhone 4/3GS and at the same time preserve its baseband.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback