How to Downgrade iOS 5 GM to iOS 4.3.3 or iOS 4.3.5? [Guide]

On Tuesday, Apple released the iOS 5 Gold Master version along with the announcement of the company's next major smartphone, iPhone 4S. iOS 5 GM is accessible only to those who have enrolled an account over at Apple's Developer Center. But it would not come as a surprise if the firmware file actually got leaked into various file sharing websites and be installed by non-developer users. If you are someone who has upgraded to iOS 5 GM but somehow for whatever reason you want to downgrade again to an older firmware, then here is a step-by-step guide which will help you to downgrade your iDevice firmware.

Downgrade-iOS-5-GM-to-iOS-4.3.3-4.3.5
For security reasons, Apple stops signing an old firmware once new ones are made available which  means users won't be able to simply restore / downgrade to it using the traditional way. If you want to be able to downgrade to an older iOS firmware, be sure that you always back up your SHSH blobs by using tools such as iFaith or TinyUmbrella.

Steps to Downgrade iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 / iOS 4.3.5:

1. Before you can hope to downgrade to iOS 4.3.3 and 4.3.5, you will of course need to have the IPSW file of the firmware that you're planning to downgrade into, iOS 4.3.3 (for the latest untethered jailbreak) and iOS 4.3.5 (latest iOS 4 version).
  2. Now, you will need to put your device into DFU mode. This prepares your device for the entire downgrade process. To place your device into DFU mode, just follow the quick guide
    below:

• Turn OFF your iDevice completely by pressing down the Power button.
    • Press the Home+Power button at the same time for 10 seconds.
    • Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button down for 10 more seconds. Your screen should go black if you are successful, if not just repeat the process.
  3. Now what we need to do is to trick iTunes into accepting an old firmware which is done by preventing the program from connection to Apple's servers. To do this on Windows, launch Explorer and navigate to the following directory: \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\. For Mac OS X users launch Finder and go to /etc/. You should see a file called "hosts". Open the file using a text editor such as Notepad.

NOTE: Backup the hosts file before saving any changes.

4. Downgrade iOS 5 GM Edit Hosts File
    All you have to do is add a line of code to the hosts file and save it, as you can see below:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Downgrade iOS 5 GM Edited Hosts File

5. Now Open iTunes, choose your device from the sidebar of the program and restore to your preferred old firmware. To be able to manually browse for the IPSW file, hold the SHIFT (Windows) or ALT (Mac OS X) on your keyboard and click on the "Restore" button. Choose the IPSW file of your choice.
  6. Downgrade-iOS-5-GM-iTunes-Restore
    Downgrade-iOS-5-GM-Restore-IPSW-Through-iTunes

NOTE: You will most likely run into a 1013 error in iTunes but don't worry because that's entirely normal and will put your device into Recovery Mode.
Downgrade-iOS-5-GM-iTunes-1013-Error
In order to kick your device out of recovery mode, you will need to download either of the two program: TinyUmbrella (for Mac, for Windows) or Fix Recovery (for Mac, for Windows). Run either program and choose the "Exit Recovery" option.

And that's it, you are done. Congratulations because you are now running an older version of iOS. Now you need help with jailbreaking your old firmware version? Well for iOS 4.3.3, just refer to one of our following guides for the latest untethered jailbreak: Redsn0w / Sn0wbreeze / PwnageTool / JailbreakMe. As for iOS 4.3.5, you can use our Redsn0w guide for an untethered jailbreak.

Recommended:

Nima4 years, 8 months ago

Is there any fkn way to get rid of error 2500?

Transporter4 years, 9 months ago

have been trying several times still cant dontgrade my iphone 3gs 5.0.1 to 4.3.3…. keep getting all kind of error code,3194,1015..etc
    Any help with these?

Patrick4 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

Have you saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3?

mert_can24 years, 9 months ago

I have same problem too. I saved SHSH. Someting is mistake but what is mistake?

kokoheartz4 years, 11 months ago

Then , it not possible how can i do next ?

Just wait for ultrasn0w or gevey sim right ?

kokoheartz4 years, 11 months ago

Now how can I downgrade baseband 4.11.08 – 4.11.04 ?

im getting crazy now i beg you help me ;(

Chris P.4 years, 11 months ago

Apple stop signing to 4.3.5, and without signing with apple, you won’t be able to downgrade the baseband even if you’re on ios 4.X.X?

That’s true. But you can still downgrade your iOS if you have the relevant SHSH files already saved.

Benjamin4 years, 11 months ago

Apparently i’m not allowed to reply, so this will be a new post.
    Yes i’m trying to downgrade from 5.0 to 4.3.3, i have my SHSH saved and doing it through tiny umbrella. I get to the very last boot when it brings me the error. Don’t know why?

Benjamin4 years, 11 months ago

Hello.. I Actually get to the point where it’s almost done but end up with error 1? In the log in tiny umbrella it clearly says that i put it in DFU mode, yet it brings up the error right at the end, tried several times now and it’s getting annoying!

Are you trying to downgrade your iP4 from iOS 5 to iOS 4.x ?

unionjak4 years, 11 months ago

Hello pramod,
    i have tried exactly what you said to do:setup tu with all boxes ticked(not upgrade baseband) and exit tu. After downloading 4.3.3, right click the restore button on itunes and select the above ipsw(4.3.3). I get no errors for the first five minutes or so, but when the time line bar on my iphone comes on, it gets three quaters of the way and then gives the error. The error then puts into a loop, which tiny umbrella cant get it out of. Then i have to restore from itunes, back to the dreaded ios 5 :(

What is the error code? 1015? You are using a custom 4.3.3 IPSW to restore your device right?

unionjak4 years, 11 months ago

hello,
    i was running 4.3.3(iphone 4) jailbroken and loving it. I got bored, and loaded up the full released version of ios 5. I really dont like it, slower and i dont want a tether j/break.
    I have tried to go back to 4.3.3 using tiny umbrella but like the above user, i get errors. i have tried changing the host files manually, ie #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com,#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com,74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com,#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. I can see that 3 are commented out, but dont know why or which one to add. I also noted that there is a host.umbrella file. T/umbrella says i have 2 saved shsh, one is 4.3.3 the other 4.3.5(shall i delete the last one ?).
    Details are:iphone 4 gsm 16gig, shsh 4.3.3.
    All that happens is that i get into the loop(itunes/usb picture) and tiny umbrella just continues the loop.
    Itunes version is 10.5.0142
    Many thanks,
    steve

Chris P.4 years, 11 months ago

Hello

I have the exact same problem with Christian C. (recovery loop), ans since Apple has blocked the signature of 4.3.5, i have to use Cydia source in order to restore. So do you have any other solutions?

Thanks.

That’s incorrect. Apple is still signing iOS 4.3.5 for almost a week now. So, you need not point to Cydia for your 4.3.5 restores at all.

Z3ROCOOL4 years, 5 months ago

Are They Still Signing It As Of 6:02, Friday, April 14th, 2012?

Pesmerga4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Apple has stopped signing it since October.

Asan4 years, 11 months ago

Not working with iPad 2..

Downgrading an iPad 2 to iOS 4.3.3 is possible ONLY via saved SHSH blobs from TU.

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

Hi, plz how to downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 with SHSH blobs? I get error 3194!!!

ryan4 years, 11 months ago

Any word about downgrading 6.15.00. My wifi is buggy, and greys out often, no matter the OS. I run a 3GS. I’m using my old BB and it’s very painful :)

Nope. Don’t expect it anytime soon either.

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

but how to tell iTunes to use saved SHSH blobs?

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

I have it, but when I restore I get error again, even when I start a TSS server for TinyUmbrella!!! an help plz

Downgrade to iOS 4.3.5 (to keep your BB at a Gevey unlockable version) & then use a custom 4.3.3 IPSW to restore your device with your saved SHSH blob. Remember, your restores to 4.3.3 will fail if you do not have the 4.3.3 SHSH.

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

How to get SHSH for iOS 4.3.3 if I don’t have it already?

You cannot. There is no way to get them back.

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

I have iPhone 4 GSM on iOS 5 GM, Baseband is now 04.11.08 after updating to iOS 5. I’m trying to downgrade to 4.3.3. and I get erro when downgrading (I tried with iTunes beta and iTunes 10.4).

You need to have the 4.3.3 SHSH saved for your device via Cydia / TU. If you don’t have one, you cannot restore / downgrade to that particular iOS version.

Christian C.4 years, 11 months ago

Hey,

I’ve tried the iOS 5 GM on my iPhone 4 but when I want to downgrade, I always get an error “The device couldn’t be restored. There was an unknown error (1).” – I used Tiny Umbrella with saved SHSH from 4.3.5 and manually chose the 4.3.5 firmware from the menu… I also tried to wake the device from recovery mode via Tiny Umbrella but it reboots into recovery mode again afterwards… Hope you can help me because I want to get back to iOS 4.3.5 as certain Apps don’t work on iOS 5 and the graphics performance isn’t as good as with iOS 4 :/

before I forget tech. details:
    * MacBook Pro (OS X Lion)
    * iTunes 10.5 Beta 9 (10.5b132)
    * iPhone 4 (GSM) 32GB with iOS 5 GM
    * saved SHSH from iOS 4.3.5

Best regards,
    Christian

Remove any reference of Cydia’s server from your hosts files, reboot & then redo the restore from iTunes. You need not run TU at the background for your restore.

zz4 years, 11 months ago

emm
    i have an iphone 4 . it was locked.
    n required gevey sim. to unlock etc.
    i got . bored of gevey. n gave it to my frnd who unlocked my iphone4.
    officially.
    i can use any sim now.
    but they upgraded it to 4.3.5
    which cant b jailbroken.
    but i saved my 4.2.1 shsh blobs.

i can downgrade it
    but my question is is their any chance . of my iphone locked again?
    hope u get it

Nope, it will not. Once its factory unlocked, your unlock state would remain the same just like how it stayed when you updated it to iOS 4.3.5. Make sure that you do install Ultrasn0w even after you downgrade to avoid the single signal bar issues.

Heinlinhtet4 years, 11 months ago

How about downgrading to 4.0 without shsh blob…is it possible?

Nope, not w/o having them already saved for your device.

Naceron4 years, 11 months ago

I followed this guide step by step, but I get error and the progress bar not move, and the firmware stay in iOS 5! any help?

To which firmware are you trying to downgrade to? Please type in your iPhone details like iOS, BB, model. Your query is just too vague to answer.

Julian Gonzalez4 years, 11 months ago

Does this process also donwgrade the base band? I make a mistake and now my Gevey doesn’t work with the iOS 5 base band!

Yes indeed. You can restore back to iOS 4.3.5 right away. That will downgrade your BB version as well. This applies only for the iP4.

irome4 years, 11 months ago

Hello there,does this downgrade also applicable to Iphone 3GS 4.3.5? thank you very much for assistance.

Yes, it sure does apply to the iP3GS as well.