Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for Mac & Windows, Fix Location Services Crash for 3GS with 06.15.00 Baseband

For those who have been keeping tabs on the happenings in the tech industry, you should be aware that Apple has already released their most advanced mobile operating system yet, the iOS 5. And since this is a major firmware update, you can trust that the jailbreak community is hard at work to bring us the most relevant jailbreak solution. Yes, iOS 5 can be jailbroken, albeit only a tethered jailbreak at the moment using the Redsn0w tool. And now it seems that iPhone Dev Team has made another update to Redsn0w, check out the changes below.

Redsn0w Tool
iPhone Dev Team's Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 is now available for download. This release came after a week since 0.9.9b5 was made available. Windows users who have been clamoring for 0.9.9b5 can now rejoice because this build caters both to Windows and Mac (although the Custom IPSW is not yet available in Windows on this build). According to the iPhone Dev Team, this update is both a functional fix and cosmetic fix for iOS 5 jailbreakers. There is one notable fix for 3GS owners with 06.15 baseband, as this build eliminates the network crash that happens each time location services is used in iOS 5.

From the iPhone Dev Team Blog:

We’ve released version 0.9.9b6 of redsn0w, with both a functional fix and cosmetic fix for iOS5 jailbreakers. For iPhone3GS owners with the 06.15 baseband, this redsn0w eliminates the network crash you saw when using Location Services in iOS5 (in fact, you don’t even need to disable Location Services anymore during the initial setup). The cosmetic fix is to the visual countdown you see when going into DFU mode.

It’s okay to re-run this redsn0w over an existing device jailbroken at iOS5. Just choose “Jailbreak” again and de-select Cydia (in other words, all the checkboxes will be unchecked).  If you are lucky enough to have an old-bootrom iPhone3GS, please pre-select the IPSW first (redsn0w can’t yet auto-detect the FW version of your old-bootrom 3GS if it’s already been jailbroken).

redsn0w 0.9.9b6
Another notable feature of Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 (which was also present in 0.9.9b5), is that is gives users the ability to preserve their baseband by providing an option to create their own custom IPSW (the Custom IPSW option is currently for Mac only). A must have feature for those who are relying on Gevey SIM or Ultrasn0w unlocks. If you are using Gevey SIM to unlock your iPhone 4 on iOS 5, then you might want to check our detailed guide here.
redsn0w 0.9.9b6 Extras
If you are jailbreaking iOS 5.0 into your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using Redsn0w 0.9.9b6, the process should be pretty similar to past builds, so we refer you to our Redsn0w iOS 5.0 tethered jailbreak guide. Keep in mind that this is a tethered jailbreak which means that each time your device shuts down or reboots you will need to connect it to a computer and run Redsn0w in order to tether boot it and be usable again. If you are looking for an untethered solution, unfortunately it is not yet available. But as we have previously reported, Chronic Dev Team has already covered that so it might just be a matter of time before we see an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak. Hopefully!

Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 Download Links:

Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for Windows
Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for Mac

Jammo5 years, 1 month ago

Hello Jaxov,

Like thousands of others, I am stuck with my 3GS 4.3.3 at 06.15.00.

Because I want my GPS back – I read that I could downgrade the baseband by installing the stock ipsw 4.3.5 (using redsn0w), and restore my GPS; is that true, or have I misunderstood totally?

Thanks much

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done right now to downgrade your BB & get back your GPS up & running. The BB update was a permanent change.

M5 years, 1 month ago

I’m trying to update old bootrom 3GS to iOS 5 using a custom IPSW. Will Redsn0w be able to hacktivate my phone?

I tried activating with the original SIM when I updated to 4.2.1, but always kept getting ‘Waiting for Activation’ message. I dont want the same thing to happen again. Also, after using a hacktivated IPSW, SAM prefs was not able to activate my phone properly. Is it working any better in iOS 5?

If SAM didn’t auto-activate, you need to set it manually to the details of the carrier to whom the iPhone is locked to.

Josh5 years, 1 month ago

How do I boot tethered without using the “Just Boot” option?

You just can’t. Its called a tethered JB for a reason.

ivanmdv5 years, 1 month ago

I’m a little bit confused too. Here’s what my phone is about
    – 3gs old bootrom
    – already jb’d using snowbreeze 2.8b8
    – already unlocked using ultrasnow

Now, everything works except for that fluctuating signal problem.

1.) can i re jb using the latest redsnow 0.9.9b6?
    2.) when you use point to the ios 5 ipsw, do you mean stock or the customized one by snowbreeze?
    3.) will this also fix my battery drain problem?

Many thanks!

1. Nope. It will mess up your current JB.
      2. Its always the stock IPSW that needs to be pointed to, may it be Redsn0w / Sn0wbreeze.
      3. Only SAM / official activation of your device can.

aqimkazama5 years, 1 month ago

yes.. i use custom restore.. still the same..not fixed anything.. if u restore the original firmware.. it will crash your network.. sim cant been detected on your phone.. cant how to figure out.. how to fixed 100%?

Restore to a Redsn0w created custom IPSW instead & the JB the same using Redsn0w as Sn0wbreeze still needs to be updated for the Location Services fix on the iPad BB.

Josh5 years, 1 month ago

Hi Pramod. Need some help over here.

Yesterday I deactivated my iPhone via Redsn0w to do the whole SAM-Push fix. My push works fine now (my battery drain wasn’t fixed, but whatever). As I deactivated at first, my “GPS” fix was gone. So basicaly when I try to re-run Redsn0w with all the boxes unchecked, I get a few messages:

-Performing full NAND R/O restore
    -Please wait ….
    -Mounting rootfs as read-only ERROR!

And that happens EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN TIME. I have tried literally ten times. I can boot tethered normally, but the GPS obviously isn’t fixed. Can I just re-run Redsn0w with the Cydia box RE-CHECKED? I mean, will it mess up with my jailbreak? Just to try it out. Thanks and sorry for writing a whole book about it.

Did you try to boot your device tethered instead using the Just Boot tethered option from Redsn0w?
      Yes, reinstalling Cydia will mess up your current JB.

aqimkazama5 years, 1 month ago

yes.. i unchecked all the boxes .. but the location service still the same.. when i use my location service to track where am i now.. then my network loose signal

Did you use Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w for your custom restore to iOS 5 ?

Ivan Sim5 years, 1 month ago

my 3gs has baseband 6:15:00 after using snowbreeze and redsnow to JB, however no network service, no ICCID no, no carrier (in asian country).
    pls help.

No ICCID ? You need to atleast insert a SIM card into your iPhone buddy. :S

iphonemaster5 years, 1 month ago

I am a little lost. I have a brand new 4.3.5 iPhone 4. I using RedSn0w to “fetch” SHSH blobs and the program crashes post restart of the phone. Querying Cedia server shows no SHSH blobs for my device. I also tried TU and tried saving my blobs. It created two folders .cache and known_devices and has 2 plist files. I tried uploading those files to Cydia and it said no blobs found.
    Am I missing something? Does a device have to JB’d to save SHSH blobs? Or what am I doing wrong or understanding incorrectly?

Upon further investigation I found the following:

10/22/2011 10:10:54.006 APPLE is NOT signing iPhone4 4.3.5 (8L1) SHSH requests anymore. All you can do now is select CYDIA and hope that CYDIA has your SHSH saved. If not, there is nothing you can do.

So since my device’s SHSH blobs are saved therefore it means that now I can no longer save them (right?).

1) So my only option would be to use Sn0wbreeze, preserve my baseband and upgrade to IOS 5.0 as I am using Gevey unlock

2) Would I be able to hactivate iPhone 4 on ios 5.0 with JBing the device (as I dont want tethered boot)

3) I do have an AT&T micro sim but I am Sweden and dont have the provider. When I put this SIM in it says No Service, could I use this SIM to activate my phone post IOS 5 upgrade without requiring hactivation?

Run Redsn0w in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode & repeat the SHSH steps. Since it crashed in the middle, your SHSH isn’t yet submitted to Cydia.
      1. Only if you want to update to iOS 5, Yes.
      2. No.
      3. Doesn’t matter. Just pop-it in & hook your device to iTunes at the activation screen.

iphonemaster5 years, 1 month ago

I am on ios version 4.3.5 its a brand new phone. So I will be saving SHSH blobs for the first time before I upgrade to ios 5 using Snowbreeze. Am I on the right path and what happens to the applications I have purchased from appstore once I upgrade using snowbreeze to 5.0?

Yes, you are & all those apps from the AppStore will automatically sync back to your device after the restore / backup is completed.

Ralph Lawrence5 years, 1 month ago

I am planning to upgrade my iPhone 4 to IOS 5 using Windows OS. Please answer few queries I had:

1) Am I only limited to Snowbreeze for upgrade as currently RedSn0w doesnt support windows to upgrade while preserving baseband (a I use gevey)

2) Can I still use RedSn0w to upload my SHSH blobs before ugprading? Is this feature available in this version under extras?

3) Is there an article you can point me to downgrade to 4.3.5 if my 5.0 upgrade results in problems with hacktivation etc.

1. Yes.
      2. Yes.
      3. Do you have the necessary SHSH saved for your device / iOS ? To the ones that you want to downgrade to? Do you have it saved for any other versions other than 4.3.4 / 4.3.5 ?

Garry5 years, 1 month ago

ya tried widh stock firm.. but the matter is same,,n my push notification r also not working fine ..;(

Restore to a Redsn0w created custom IPSW / wait until an untethered JB is out. iH8sn0w will be fixing this issue via Cydia ONLY after an untethered JB is out for iOS 5.

umer5 years, 1 month ago

hey ,how r u , 3gs with old bootroom having ipad BB is not getting unlock ,can u suggest anything please thank you .

Explain to me in detail what is the issue.

aqimkazama5 years, 1 month ago

hey.. my iphone 3gs newbootrom.. ipad baseband.. try to fix the location service but after it done.. the feature still the same.. when i use location service for 3g.. it like lost connection… any suggestion…??

And you did re-run Redsn0w over your device w/o checking any of the other available options right?

Garry5 years, 1 month ago

hi jaxov..
    i´ve 3gs on OS5 old bootroom,.,i´ve done this whole process,,, but it still crashes,,:(..i´ve installed a custom firm (activated)made by snowbreeze..but redsnow was unable to reconise that one,, so i put the original apple firm in “select IPSW” option,,, may b its not work for this????
    thankyou

You need to always select the stock iOS IPSWs for Redsn0w to run. It will not recognize custom IPSWs created by Redsn0w / Sn0wbreeze.

Jimmy5 years, 1 month ago

Actually I just paid 29 pounds for my IMEI (Which I paid around 25 pounds for my Gevey SIM ultra…)

Hopefully it will unlock my UK T-mobile iPhone 4!

Jimmy5 years, 1 month ago

I am using the Ultra one, since you also have that, do you encounter any problem with iOS 5?

You will need to manually perform the steps on the Ultra & try not to tether JB it atleast until an untethered is out for iOS 5.

Jimmy5 years, 1 month ago

Don’t know why as well :( When I was trying to add a new source it closes down Cydia and jumps back to the home screen automatically… weird

Are you sure BB 04.10.01 works perfectly fine on iOS 5?

If your referring to the Gevey, there are mixed issues with regards to that (depending on the Gevey itself) but it sure does work to unlock any preserved BB on the iOS 5.

Jimmy5 years, 1 month ago

Will you be able to provide a iPhone 5.0 IPSW with BB preserved? As I am a Windows user I can’t preserve the BB and Sn0wbreeze doesn’t work for me (buggy with Cydia). Thanks in advance :)

Why would Cydia be buggy for you? Mine works just great for the iOS 5 that I restored using Sn0wbreeze.

Travis5 years, 1 month ago

I don’t get it – “location services crash” – is this the final solution for the Ipad baseband GPS issue?
    I have a 3GS with IOs 4.1 and the Ipad baseband.
    Thank you!
    Travis

Nope. This is only a fix for those who had issues with enabling the Location Services (aGPS) once jailbroken on the iOS 5. This doesn’t fix the GPS loss issue.

redzo5 years, 1 month ago

i have a 3gs old bootroom,and i made a custom firmware using snowbreeze.everything is ok but everytime i use location service my network disconectss.i tryed again with redsnow 0.9.9b6 but it is still the same,

For an iP3GS old bootrom version, you need to pre-select the iOS 5 IPSW first because Redsn0w can’t yet auto-detect the FW version of your old bootrom 3GS if it’s already been jailbroken. After that, re-run the JB by unchecking the Install Cydia option.