If you have been keeping up with the news regarding iOS 5, then you should be aware that iOS 5 beta 7 was seeded to registered developers yesterday. In case you are holding out on updating to iOS 5 beta 7 because you are not sure if it can be jailbroken, then you need not worry anymore because Redsn0w comes to the rescue once again. If you have downloaded the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.8b7), then you can use that to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 7 into your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
iPhone Dev-Team frontman MuscleNerd has confirmed through his Twitter account that one can use Redsn0w 0.9.8b7 in order to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 7. But since it is not yet properly updated to be more compatible with the latest beta, you will need to point Redsn0w to the iOS 5 beta 6 IPSW. It is an old trick that is once again effective in this version of iOS 5 beta. In case you need some help on how to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 7 into your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using the latest version of Redsn0w, then you should read our quick handy guide below.
Redsn0w 0.9.8b7 Supported Devices:
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
Before you proceed, you need to have the following (download links are below this post):
- iOS 5 Beta 7 IPSW
- iOS 5 Beta 6 IPSW
- iTunes 10.5 Beta 7
- Redsn0w 0.9.8b7
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 7 into Your iDevice using Redsn0w 0.9.8b7:
- First of course, you need to upgrade / restore your device to iOS 5 beta 7 using iTunes 10.5 beta 7. You need to have a registered developer account via the iOS Dev Center in order to access both.
- After successfully restoring your iDevice, launch Redsn0w 0.9.8b7. The program will then ask your current firmware's IPSW, so be sure that you point it to the iOS 5 Beta 6 IPSW, NOT iOS 5 Beta 7. Redsn0w will then identify your firmware, once that's done click Next.
- For the next screen, you will see various options on which jailbreak components to install. For now let's just check "Install Cydia", although you can also check the other options as long as you know what they do. Click Next to proceed.
- The program will now ask you to turn OFF and plug your iDevice to a PC or Mac. Click Next.
- Now Redsn0w will need to put your device into DFU Mode. You can simply follow the onscreen instructions on how to do it, or you can refer to the mini-guide below:
- Simultaneously press and hold down the Home + Power button for about 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button but keep holding down the Home button for 15 more seconds or so.
- Your device should enter DFU Mode if done correctly.
NOTE: This is once again a tethered jailbreak, so you know the drill. Every time your device gets shutdown or reboots, you will need to run it through Redsn0w so you can use it again and restore to its jailbroken state. Just follow the instructions above again but choose "Just boot tethered right now" when asked which jailbreak components to install.
Download iOS 5 Beta 7 IPSW for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
Download iOS 5 Beta 6 IPSW for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
Download iTunes 10.5 Beta 7 for Windows and Mac
Download Redsn0w 0.9.8b7 (Windows)
Download Redsn0w 0.9.8b7 (Mac)