If you have been using various VoIP services for some time now, then there's no way that you haven't heard of Skype. Skype is definitely one of the most popular VoIP services to exist and it has been available for the iPhone and iPod touch for quite a long while already. Oddly enough, the iPad version of the Skype app is nowhere to be found. But just over a week ago, a YouTube video of the iPad app was spotted and it was later confirmed to be the official Skype app for the iPad. And today, Skype has finally launched the official app for iPad, but was quickly pulled out of the App Store after only a few hours.
Yes, the iPad optimized Skype client was officially made available in the App Store today but hours later, the company decided to shut down the party by pulling it out of the App Store claiming that it was released prematurely. The news came from the official Twitter account of Skype where they also issued an apology towards the users.
For those who have missed the app, here's a rundown of the features that was found in the official iTunes page:
- Join Skype on your iPad in a few moments or just sign straight in to your account.
- If you already have a Skype account, your Skype contacts will automatically be there on your iPad.
- We’ve made adding new Skype contacts really easy.
- Once they’re in your Contact list, call, video or instant message them in one touch.
- Flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
- Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs.
Well while you are waiting for the Skype for iPad to be available again, why don't you check out this video of the said app:
For iPhone users, Skype is one of the primary choice when it comes to video chatting. While the iOS does have FaceTime, its usefulness is severely limited because it only works over WiFi. Skype brings video chat is possible through 3G networks which is definitely a huge advantage. There has been no word yet from Skype when is the iPad app going to be available again. iPad owners could only hope that it's soon enough.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback