Just a few days ago, the fifth pre-release version of the iOS 5 was seeded by Apple to the developers. And of course, one of the primary questions that pops into one's mind is, can it be jailbroken? Well folks, we're pleased to inform you that much like the previous beta builds of iOS 5, iOS 5 Beta 5 can be jailbroken using the latest version of Redsn0w.
Just a few hours ago, iPhone Dev Team frontman MuscleNerd, tweeted that Redsn0w has now been updated in order to be compatible with jailbreaking iOS 5 Beta 5. The iPhone Dev Team blog has also been updated in order to bring us this update for Redsn0w.
redsn0w 0.9.8b5 tethered JB released for iOS 5 beta5 (JB app devs only please) http://t.co/prKzw3n (GM is getting closer!)
Redsn0w is pretty much the go-to tool when it comes to applying a tethered jailbreak into almost any iDevice, with the exception of the iPad 2. Since this version of the iOS 5 is still on its experimental phase, jailbreakers won't likely see an untethered jailbreak solution soon.
Redsn0w 0.9.8b5 supports the following devices:
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
Before you proceed, be sure that you have the following (all download links are found at the bottom of the page):
- iOS 5 Beta 5 IPSW
- iTunes 10.5 Beta 5
- Redsn0w 0.9.8b5 for Windows / Mac
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 5 Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b5:
- Restore or upgrade your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to iOS 5 Beta 5 through iTunes 10.5 Beta 5.
- After you have restored your device, launch the latest version of Redsn0w. Once the program asks for the IPSW, point it to the iOS 5 Beta 5 IPSW. Redsn0w will then attempt to identify the firmware. Once the identification process is done, click Next.
- You will then be taken to the next screen where you can check various jailbreak components that you want to install. Just check "Install Cydia" for now and click Next.
- The program will now ask you to turn off and plug in your iDevice. Once those are done, click Next.
- Now it's time to put your iDevice into DFU Mode. You can simply follow the easy step-by-step instruction within Redsn0w or you can refer to this short simple guide:
- Press and hold both the Power and Home buttons together for about 10 seconds.
- Now release the Power button but keep pressing down the Home button for another 15 seconds.
- If everything's done right, your iDevice will be placed under DFU Mode.
- Once your device is placed under DFU Mode, Redsn0w will now proceed to jailbreak your device. Your job here is done because Redsn0w should take care of the rest. Just make sure iTunes is NOT running or you don't accidentally unplug your device. You will be notified once the process is complete.
Please be reminded again that this is a tethered jailbreak which means that whenever you device runs out of power or reboots, it becomes unusable. You will need to run your iDevice through Redsn0w and choose the option "Just boot tethered right now."