The computing environment of Apple is generally known to the world as one of the safest. Both the Mac OS and the iOS are systems that have little to no malwares or viruses. There are occasional security risks that would pop up here and there, but they are resolved almost immediately. Security risks have been fairly uncommon with Apple's iOS but that doesn't stop Mac security specialists, Intego to develop a new malware scanner just for Apple's mobile operating system.
VirusBarrier by Intego, is the first ever malware scanner for the iOS. This particular security tool will scan places where there is a high chance of malware and viruses to be stored. Such places includes Dropbox folders and Mail attachments within the iOS. Unfortunately, due to the nature of multi-tasking in the iOS environment, VirusBarrier will only scan your system once you launch the app. This means it won't be running in the background while actively protecting your system from any sort of security threats. You can also manually scan individual files by selecting the option Open in "VirusBarrier" once an item is selected.
While there is no known malware for iOS, files can flow through these devices into computers at home and at work by e-mail, or via remote locations such as MobileMe or Dropbox. Mac and Windows viruses, malware and worms will take any path they can to get into home and work computers, and can easily be passed on to friends and co-workers directly from an iOS device, even though they do not affect iOS devices.
VirusBarrier for the iOS offers these set of features:
- Scans of files received by e-mail, on remote locations, or on iOS devices
- Scans files for Mac, Windows and Unix viruses and malware
- Scans files for spyware, Trojan horses, adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
- Scans ZIP archives
- Repairs infected files
- Scans email attachments*, files downloaded from Safari*, and files accessed by applications supporting inter-app file transfers*.
- Scans remote locations in the cloud, such as Dropbox, iDisks and WebDav disks
- Scans websites for known phishing URLs, web threats, and malware hosting
- Automatically updates malware definitions
- Completes scans in the background
- Keeps logs of scans
- Includes a 1-year subscription to Intego's market-leading malware definitions, generally updated twice a week (more if there are immediate threats discovered)
VirusBarrier can detect malwares and viruses that are found in Windows, Mac and Unix so you can expect that its virus definitions will be updated regularly as well. So what are the hardware requirements to run this malware scanner? You just need an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that runs on iOS 4 and above. VirusBarrier is available in the iTunes App Store for $2.99 which will give you virus protection for one whole year. If you want to continue using the app, you will need to renew the license by paying $1.99 per year.
With the iOS or pretty much every computer system, common sense and proper Internet practices are usually enough to avoid viruses and malwares. But these days, you can never be too sure. If you prefer another layer of security for your iOS device, then VirusBarrier should be a worthy investment.
Buy VirusBarrier in iTunes App Store for $2.99.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback