As you all know, Apple had already released the fourth pre-release version of the iOS 5. It comes with a variety of performance and stability enhancements and bug fixes. But probably the most notable addition to iOS 5 beta 4 is one of the most awaited feature, the Over-The-Air (OTA) updates. If you have upgraded to iOS 5 beta 4, then perhaps you wonder if it can be jailbroken right? Well, you're in luck because it turns out you can use to Jailbreak iOS 5 beta 4 with Redsn0w.
The iPhone Dev-Team has just made a few tweaks to Redsn0w so jailbreakers can use it for iOS 5 beta 4. The team however cautioned people, that this jailbreak solution is for developers only very much like the beta firmware itself. And also according to the iPhone Dev-Team, if you are under a jailbroken iOS 5 beta, then as expected, you won't be able to use OTA updates.
Update #4: In conjunction with iOS5 beta4 being released to iOS developers, redsn0w 0.9.8b4 is now available for jailbreak app developers (point the b4 redsn0w at the b4 IPSW). Remember, it’s a tethered jailbreak right now so you’ll need to use redsn0w to boot into a jailbroken state at each power cycle.
NOTE: It appears that by design, the OTA update that became available starting with iOS 5 beta4 will *not* be automatically applied to jailbroken devices. That’s a relief to those who don’t want to lose their jailbreak via OTA pushes. If you’re jailbroken, you’ll need to use the standard iTunes method to get to iOS 5 beta4.
NOTE: This is a tethered jailbreak which means you will need to connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your PC or Mac each time you will need power up your device. Currently, there is no untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 betas.
The following devices are supported:
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 4 into Your iDevice using Redsn0w 0.9.8b4:
- Download the iOS 5 Beta 4 IPSW. You can do so if you have enrolled an account in Apple's iOS Dev Center. If not, then you can always enroll for an account for only $99 per year.
- Now you will need to restore your device to iOS 5 Beta 4 using iTunes 10.5 Beta 4 (required) which is also exclusively available for developers.
- After restoring to iOS 5 Beta 4, download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.8b4) for either Windows or Mac (download links below).
- Open Redsn0w 0.9.8b4 and point it to the iOS 5 Beta 4 IPSW that you just used to restore your device. Redsn0w will then attempt to identify the firmware, once it's successfully identified, click Next.
- On the next screen, you will see various options on which components you would like to install. For now just check "Install Cydia". Only check the other options if you know what they do. Click Next.
- Redsn0w will now ask you to turn off and plug in your device, so go ahead and do that. Once you're ready click Next.
- Now the program will ask you to place your device in DFU Mode. So just follow the step-by-step on-screen instructions, or you can do this:
- Press and hold the Power + Home buttons for about 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 15 more seconds.
- If done correctly, your device should enter DFU Mode.
- If your device has entered DFU mode successfully, Redsn0w will be able to detect it. In that case, just sit back and relax while Redsn0w takes care of the rest. Just DO NOT unplug your device or run iTunes. You will receive a notification once the process is complete.
Again, keep in mind that this is a tethered jailbreak. If your device gets shut down, just launch Redsn0w and when you're asked what options to select, choose "Just boot tethered right now."