In order to patch the serious PDF exploit security hole in iOS 4.3.3, just last week, Apple rolled out its next update for iOS 4, which is iOS 4.3.4. This particular firmware update also renders the highly popular and the easiest jailbreak tool, JailbreakMe 3.0 to be useless. For whatever reason, if somehow you've upgraded your device to firmware 4.3.4, then you are in luck because the iPhone Dev Team just made a small update to Redsn0w so that it would be compatible to jailbreak iOS 4.3.4. Note that this is a tethered jailbreak and is compatible with most iDevices except for the iPad 2.
Note: If you have a device that's carrier unlocked, then this tutorial is NOT for you because Redsn0w will revert it. It's recommended that you use PwnageTool instead which we will be providing a tutorial for you later.
Steps on How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.4 Using Redsn0w (Tethered):
- First you will need download the iOS 4.3.4 IPSW file.
- Open iTunes and restore your device or update to iOS 4.3.4. When clicking on Restore, be sure that you are holding down the SHIFT (Windows) or ALT (Mac) key so you can browse for the 4.3.4 IPSW.
- Download the latest version of Redsn0w for Mac or Windows, and browse for the iOS 4.3.4 firmware. Redsn0w will then identify the firmware and it will inform you once it successfully done so.
- Click on Next and this should take to a window where you can select various options of which jailbreak components would you like to install. Since this tutorial is for jailbreaking, for now let's just check the "Install Cydia" option. Although you can check other items as well only if you are aware of what they can do. Once you have checked all desired options, just click on Next.
- You will be brought to another window which the program will ask you to ensure that your device is both plugged in and turned off. Only click Next if your device is off and plugged into your computer. If you are ready, then click Next.
- The next window is where the program will instruct you to have your device enter DFU mode. Just follow that on-screen instructions or do this:
- Hold Power + Home buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button while still holding the Home button for 15 more seconds.
- If done correctly, your device should enter DFU Mode.
And you are done! We would like to reiterate that this is a tethered jailbreak which means that you will lose your jailbreak each time your device is turned off or will be needing a reboot. In order to reinstate your device's jailbroken state, you will need to plug it to your computer, open Redsn0w and choose "Just boot tethered right now."